Aug 9, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
While the New Jersey Devils could hash out a new, easier-to-ratify deal without too much of a headache, the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection could have meant more than just a hassle for the team. Let me point you to something Joe touched on earlier today.
As for the Devils, there’s a possibility that they could be fined by the NHL or docked draft picks for circumventing the salary cap. Fines range up to as much as $5 million dollars and could be used against the salary cap itself so as to more effectively punish the team.
The good news for GM Lou Lamoriello and the Devils is that it appears – at least right now – as if the league will not fine them for attempting such a CBA Houdini Act. Nick Kypreos has the word.
Hearing at this point in time the NHL have no plans to penalize Devils in any manner for being found guilty of circumventing CBA
It would be a wise move for the NHL to let this one go without a fine. While they achieved the decision they wanted, adding fines on top of that is a lot like those moments when one player receives a roughing minor for retaliating against an unseen slight. Considering the big picture similarities between the failed Kovalchuk deal and similar ones like the deal handed to Marian Hossa, it’s good that the league won’t add financial injury to the insult of nixing the contract.
Many raised justifiable concerns about how this might lead to a 2012 lockout, but maybe this situation will help the NHL in the long run. Even if it justifies the well-earned reputation that the NHL is about as reliable and consistent as The Incredible Hulk.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)