Aug 9, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
While the New Jersey Devils could hash out a new, easier-to-ratify deal without too much of a headache, the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection could have meant more than just a hassle for the team. Let me point you to something Joe touched on earlier today.
As for the Devils, there’s a possibility that they could be fined by the NHL or docked draft picks for circumventing the salary cap. Fines range up to as much as $5 million dollars and could be used against the salary cap itself so as to more effectively punish the team.
The good news for GM Lou Lamoriello and the Devils is that it appears – at least right now – as if the league will not fine them for attempting such a CBA Houdini Act. Nick Kypreos has the word.
Hearing at this point in time the NHL have no plans to penalize Devils in any manner for being found guilty of circumventing CBA
It would be a wise move for the NHL to let this one go without a fine. While they achieved the decision they wanted, adding fines on top of that is a lot like those moments when one player receives a roughing minor for retaliating against an unseen slight. Considering the big picture similarities between the failed Kovalchuk deal and similar ones like the deal handed to Marian Hossa, it’s good that the league won’t add financial injury to the insult of nixing the contract.
Many raised justifiable concerns about how this might lead to a 2012 lockout, but maybe this situation will help the NHL in the long run. Even if it justifies the well-earned reputation that the NHL is about as reliable and consistent as The Incredible Hulk.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)