Aug 9, 2010, 11:27 AM EST
The decision in the Ilya Kovalchuk contract grievance is expected to come down at some point today. We’ve analyzed what will happen depending on how the decision comes down, and while we’re expecting that systems arbitrator Richard Bloch will approve Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million contract, we still know that funny things can happen when it comes down to a court case. You know, like sometimes Clarke MacArthur walks away with a $2.4 million award.
If you’re big into your NHL history, however, having the decision come down on August 9 helps make this an even bigger day when folks will look back upon what’s happened. On this day in 1988, Wayne Gretzky, two months removed from winning his fourth Stanley Cup with the Edmonton Oilers, was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in the biggest single transaction the sports world had seen. Gretzky, Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski were all sent to the Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, $15 million in cash and three first-round picks. The Gretzky deal taught nine year-old me at the time a life lesson I’ve yet to forget: If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded.
If you’re big into numerology and how it’s spooky that the same number can keep cropping up, Kovalchuk’s number 17 has played a prominent role in things. He wears number 17. His contract is for 17 years. Today is August 9 (8/9; 8+9 = 17). Kovalchuk mentioned at his press conference that his father passed away on the 17th of month. A decision in his case is due by the close of business today at 5:00 p.m. which in military time is 17:00. This entire fiasco feels like it’s taken 17 days to get settled (it hasn’t). There hasn’t been this kind of wacky numerology since the movie “The Number 23” starring Jim Carrey.
One way or the other, I think we’ll all be happy once Richard Bloch’s decision comes down because either we can finally move on to other news or the summer got a lot more interesting.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)