Aug 9, 2010, 9:50 PM EST
This probably won’t come as much of a surprise, but reports indicate that the New Jersey Devils are in the process of drawing up a new contract for Ilya Kovalchuk after an arbitrator sided with the NHL to void the 17-year, $102 million version.
“While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch’s award and the NHL’s approval.”
If I were Lamoriello, I’d use the deals signed by Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg as a road map in drawing up an “acceptable” deal. We’ll wait and see if a new deal means a bigger cap hit for the already cap-challenged Devils, less money for Kovalchuk or … another disputed contract?
I wish this ordeal was over, but clearly, the Fat Contract Lady is on “mute” right now.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)