Aug 9, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
This probably won’t come as much of a surprise, but reports indicate that the New Jersey Devils are in the process of drawing up a new contract for Ilya Kovalchuk after an arbitrator sided with the NHL to void the 17-year, $102 million version.
“While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch’s award and the NHL’s approval.”
If I were Lamoriello, I’d use the deals signed by Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg as a road map in drawing up an “acceptable” deal. We’ll wait and see if a new deal means a bigger cap hit for the already cap-challenged Devils, less money for Kovalchuk or … another disputed contract?
I wish this ordeal was over, but clearly, the Fat Contract Lady is on “mute” right now.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)