Aug 9, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
This probably won’t come as much of a surprise, but reports indicate that the New Jersey Devils are in the process of drawing up a new contract for Ilya Kovalchuk after an arbitrator sided with the NHL to void the 17-year, $102 million version.
“While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch’s award and the NHL’s approval.”
If I were Lamoriello, I’d use the deals signed by Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg as a road map in drawing up an “acceptable” deal. We’ll wait and see if a new deal means a bigger cap hit for the already cap-challenged Devils, less money for Kovalchuk or … another disputed contract?
I wish this ordeal was over, but clearly, the Fat Contract Lady is on “mute” right now.
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 7
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 59
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 4
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 8
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36