Aug 9, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
While it was rumored last week that Teemu Selanne would be rejoining the Anaheim Ducks for one more year, Selanne himself made it official that he was coming back by posting it on the Anaheim Ducks website himself.
Ducks Fans —
After thinking about it for the last few months, I’ve decided to return to play for the Ducks. I’m excited about the summer additions the team has made. I know this team can win.
That’s the sort of fired up and confident message you’d like to get from a guy that could call it a career at any moment and then patiently wait for his call to the hall of fame. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times tweets that Selanne’s contract is worth $3.25 million for one year. This gives the Ducks about $10 million in cap space to get restricted free agent Bobby Ryan re-signed as well as to potentially get Selanne’s best friend Paul Kariya into the mix as well. Ducks GM Bob Murray has been on record as saying he’d also like to improve the Ducks defensive depth, however. If Kariya wants in on another go with Selanne and the Ducks, he’ll be looking at a Mike Modano-like deal with a low base salary and juicy incentives.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17