Aug 9, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
While it was rumored last week that Teemu Selanne would be rejoining the Anaheim Ducks for one more year, Selanne himself made it official that he was coming back by posting it on the Anaheim Ducks website himself.
Ducks Fans —
After thinking about it for the last few months, I’ve decided to return to play for the Ducks. I’m excited about the summer additions the team has made. I know this team can win.
That’s the sort of fired up and confident message you’d like to get from a guy that could call it a career at any moment and then patiently wait for his call to the hall of fame. Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times tweets that Selanne’s contract is worth $3.25 million for one year. This gives the Ducks about $10 million in cap space to get restricted free agent Bobby Ryan re-signed as well as to potentially get Selanne’s best friend Paul Kariya into the mix as well. Ducks GM Bob Murray has been on record as saying he’d also like to improve the Ducks defensive depth, however. If Kariya wants in on another go with Selanne and the Ducks, he’ll be looking at a Mike Modano-like deal with a low base salary and juicy incentives.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)