Aug 8, 2010, 9:40 PM EST
With the development camps for the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships finished yesterday, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a look at some of the interesting stories from the camps tonight.
First things first, I thought some out there might be interested to find out which players excelled the most in the very small sample of scrimmages that the U.S., Finnish and Swedish teams were involved in. All of the games took place between August 2-7 in Lake Placid, NY.
Here are the top 10 point producers in the scrimmages, according to USAHockey.com. (OK, actually, it’s the top nine and then 15 players tied for 10th place with three points.)
Beau Bennett (pictured in this story with fellow first rounder Emerson Etem) was the Pittsburgh Penguins’ first rounder this year, going 20th overall. Kyle Palmieri is in the Anaheim Ducks farm system (26th pick of the 2009 draft) while Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (10th in ’09) is one of the reasons the Edmonton Oilers are dreaming big about the future.
Five players tied for the goal scoring lead with 3: William Wallen, Anton Lander, Calle Jarnkrok, Iiari Pakarinen and Nick Bjugstad.
While the goalies only received a few starts (therefore making it an even smaller sample), it’s still interesting enough to take a look at how all three teams’ netminders performed. These stats are also via USA Hockey.com.
The biggest name, in my opinion, is Jack Campbell. He helped the 2010 US team win a gold medal last time around, even though he actually didn’t start the game. He was the first goalie taken in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, going to the Dallas Stars at 11th overall.
Again, these stats were recorded in scrimmages and are very small samples anyway. They essentially were preseason games or maybe even less important. Still, it’s a tiny peek into the future of some prospects, so we’ll take a good look at the camps tonight and maybe a little bit tomorrow.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)