Aug 8, 2010, 9:40 PM EST
With the development camps for the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships finished yesterday, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a look at some of the interesting stories from the camps tonight.
First things first, I thought some out there might be interested to find out which players excelled the most in the very small sample of scrimmages that the U.S., Finnish and Swedish teams were involved in. All of the games took place between August 2-7 in Lake Placid, NY.
Here are the top 10 point producers in the scrimmages, according to USAHockey.com. (OK, actually, it’s the top nine and then 15 players tied for 10th place with three points.)
Beau Bennett (pictured in this story with fellow first rounder Emerson Etem) was the Pittsburgh Penguins’ first rounder this year, going 20th overall. Kyle Palmieri is in the Anaheim Ducks farm system (26th pick of the 2009 draft) while Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (10th in ’09) is one of the reasons the Edmonton Oilers are dreaming big about the future.
Five players tied for the goal scoring lead with 3: William Wallen, Anton Lander, Calle Jarnkrok, Iiari Pakarinen and Nick Bjugstad.
While the goalies only received a few starts (therefore making it an even smaller sample), it’s still interesting enough to take a look at how all three teams’ netminders performed. These stats are also via USA Hockey.com.
The biggest name, in my opinion, is Jack Campbell. He helped the 2010 US team win a gold medal last time around, even though he actually didn’t start the game. He was the first goalie taken in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, going to the Dallas Stars at 11th overall.
Again, these stats were recorded in scrimmages and are very small samples anyway. They essentially were preseason games or maybe even less important. Still, it’s a tiny peek into the future of some prospects, so we’ll take a good look at the camps tonight and maybe a little bit tomorrow.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)