Aug 8, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
With the development camps for the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships finished yesterday, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a look at some of the interesting stories from the camps tonight.
First things first, I thought some out there might be interested to find out which players excelled the most in the very small sample of scrimmages that the U.S., Finnish and Swedish teams were involved in. All of the games took place between August 2-7 in Lake Placid, NY.
Here are the top 10 point producers in the scrimmages, according to USAHockey.com. (OK, actually, it’s the top nine and then 15 players tied for 10th place with three points.)
Beau Bennett (pictured in this story with fellow first rounder Emerson Etem) was the Pittsburgh Penguins’ first rounder this year, going 20th overall. Kyle Palmieri is in the Anaheim Ducks farm system (26th pick of the 2009 draft) while Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (10th in ’09) is one of the reasons the Edmonton Oilers are dreaming big about the future.
Five players tied for the goal scoring lead with 3: William Wallen, Anton Lander, Calle Jarnkrok, Iiari Pakarinen and Nick Bjugstad.
While the goalies only received a few starts (therefore making it an even smaller sample), it’s still interesting enough to take a look at how all three teams’ netminders performed. These stats are also via USA Hockey.com.
The biggest name, in my opinion, is Jack Campbell. He helped the 2010 US team win a gold medal last time around, even though he actually didn’t start the game. He was the first goalie taken in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, going to the Dallas Stars at 11th overall.
Again, these stats were recorded in scrimmages and are very small samples anyway. They essentially were preseason games or maybe even less important. Still, it’s a tiny peek into the future of some prospects, so we’ll take a good look at the camps tonight and maybe a little bit tomorrow.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 24
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 46
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 51
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 29
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10