Aug 8, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
Hockey and tennis are two wildly different sports. One is a team based game that requires considerable physical sacrifice and features plenty of violence. The other is a sport of one-on-one competition in which you can only really blame yourself for defeat (aside from maybe a few quibbles with line judges).
Still, they are both sports that reward high levels of fitness, great hand-eye coordination and competitive drive. (They also are dominated by people from countries outside of the U.S., appeal to a richer demographic than most sports and occasionally feature epic “overtime” matches.)
TSN reports that two of the best players in their prospective sports – the NHL’s Sidney Crosby and tennis’s Roger Federer – met each other for the first time this weekend at the Rogers Cup. As you can imagine, the quotes were pretty dull, although Crosby did discuss tennis’s popularity among NHL players.
Crosby said there are a number of NHL players who enjoy playing tennis in the off-season, but no one is head and shoulders above the rest.
“Maybe Jay McKee, the way he talks,” Crosby said with a laugh. “He’s pretty good. Usually you have a few guys who can play and it’s not unusual to have a few guys on every time who like to play pretty regularly.”
Both Federer and Crosby celebrated their birthdays this weekend. Crosby might have the easiest birthday to remember in all of hockey; his jersey number is the key (87 represents the month [8 - August], the day  and year he was born ['87]). No word on whether Crosby threw a big party in Mario Lemieux’s basement, though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)