Aug 8, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres added a little bit of goaltending depth today signing 2010 IIHF World Championships Team USA member David Leggio to a one-year, two-way contract. Leggio, a standout at Clarkson University during his years in college, played last year for TPS in SM-Liiga, the Finnish Elite League, helping the team win the league title.
Leggio is destined for the AHL to play for the Portland Pirates, likely in a backup role for goalie Jhonas Enroth. And no, I wasn’t kidding around when I said that Leggio was a member of the disappointing 2010 World Championships team (pdf), he was the team’s third goalie and didn’t see any action. Team USA was sent to the relegation round where they survived to avoid the ignominy of being sent down a level just months after nearly winning the gold medal at the Olympics.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63