Aug 8, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres added a little bit of goaltending depth today signing 2010 IIHF World Championships Team USA member David Leggio to a one-year, two-way contract. Leggio, a standout at Clarkson University during his years in college, played last year for TPS in SM-Liiga, the Finnish Elite League, helping the team win the league title.
Leggio is destined for the AHL to play for the Portland Pirates, likely in a backup role for goalie Jhonas Enroth. And no, I wasn’t kidding around when I said that Leggio was a member of the disappointing 2010 World Championships team (pdf), he was the team’s third goalie and didn’t see any action. Team USA was sent to the relegation round where they survived to avoid the ignominy of being sent down a level just months after nearly winning the gold medal at the Olympics.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11