Aug 7, 2010, 1:13 AM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Peter Forsberg: Should he stay or go?: I asked The Clash what they thought about this. They rolled their eyes at my lazy punk rock reference.
Clarke MacArthur arbitration amount raising questions about system: As it should. Seriously, in what ridiculous hockey galaxy would MacArthur be worth $2.4 million?
Maxim Afinogenov signs with SKA St. Petersburg: Man, Russians really love SKA music. I would have guessed they’d be more into techno or one of its ilk instead, but to each his own, right? [S-see it what I did there? ... Sorry.]
NHL R & D camp will test new rules: But will there be robots?
Senators hire Kurt Kleinendorst – Kleinendorst. Now that’s a last name.
Penguins announce their all-time team – What, no Darius Kasparitis? I demand a recount.
Wild sign center John Madden – I know you’re expecting a “Boom” joke here, but all I can think is “What a waste.” He seems better suited as a great role player on a contender.
Willa Ford says Mike Modano should stick it to Dallas by signing with Detroit - First lesson of Blogging 101: When you can post a photo of someone who looks like Willa Ford – for legitimate reasons – you do it. Joe clearly was awake for that session.
Teemu Selanne plans to re-sign with Ducks, should Paul Kariya follow? – That could be a lot of fun, even though it would probably be like one of those sad, past-their-prime rock band reunions … (Speaking of which, how was Soundgarden at Lollapalooza?*)
Oilers sign Martin Gerber – The return of “Gerber baby.” Some scoffed at the signing, but it seems like a solid low-risk, medium-reward move.
Kovalchuk update: No real news today – Expect that to be the theme Saturday and Sunday, but Monday should hold answers.
Nabokov press conference – Man, the Edmonton Oilers sure have taken a lot of abuse over the years …
Chelios retires – I know what most of you are thinking: “Wait, he didn’t retire already?”
Red Wings owner welcomes Modano to Detroit – Sorry again, Stars fans.
Coyotes say their season ticket sales are “significantly higher” than reports – I wonder what they mean by “significant” though.
NHL 2K11 gets an earlier release set for Aug. 24 – Is this a sign of desperation from 2K Sports? It sure smells like it.
Tim Thomas “ahead of schedule” on rehab from hip surgery – Ah, old men and their hips. (See, I can rebound from that whole “no more Chelios old jokes” thing …)
Hossa’s day with the Cup – A sad one for lazy hockey humorists worldwide. The dream is over. Time to go back to Rick Dipietro quips again.
* For the record, I loved Soundgarden in middle school and would gladly pay to see them if they toured in my area.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 9
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 35
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)