Aug 7, 2010, 1:13 AM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Peter Forsberg: Should he stay or go?: I asked The Clash what they thought about this. They rolled their eyes at my lazy punk rock reference.
Clarke MacArthur arbitration amount raising questions about system: As it should. Seriously, in what ridiculous hockey galaxy would MacArthur be worth $2.4 million?
Maxim Afinogenov signs with SKA St. Petersburg: Man, Russians really love SKA music. I would have guessed they’d be more into techno or one of its ilk instead, but to each his own, right? [S-see it what I did there? … Sorry.]
NHL R & D camp will test new rules: But will there be robots?
Senators hire Kurt Kleinendorst – Kleinendorst. Now that’s a last name.
Penguins announce their all-time team – What, no Darius Kasparitis? I demand a recount.
Wild sign center John Madden – I know you’re expecting a “Boom” joke here, but all I can think is “What a waste.” He seems better suited as a great role player on a contender.
Willa Ford says Mike Modano should stick it to Dallas by signing with Detroit - First lesson of Blogging 101: When you can post a photo of someone who looks like Willa Ford – for legitimate reasons – you do it. Joe clearly was awake for that session.
Teemu Selanne plans to re-sign with Ducks, should Paul Kariya follow? – That could be a lot of fun, even though it would probably be like one of those sad, past-their-prime rock band reunions … (Speaking of which, how was Soundgarden at Lollapalooza?*)
Oilers sign Martin Gerber – The return of “Gerber baby.” Some scoffed at the signing, but it seems like a solid low-risk, medium-reward move.
Kovalchuk update: No real news today – Expect that to be the theme Saturday and Sunday, but Monday should hold answers.
Nabokov press conference – Man, the Edmonton Oilers sure have taken a lot of abuse over the years …
Chelios retires – I know what most of you are thinking: “Wait, he didn’t retire already?”
Red Wings owner welcomes Modano to Detroit – Sorry again, Stars fans.
Coyotes say their season ticket sales are “significantly higher” than reports – I wonder what they mean by “significant” though.
NHL 2K11 gets an earlier release set for Aug. 24 – Is this a sign of desperation from 2K Sports? It sure smells like it.
Tim Thomas “ahead of schedule” on rehab from hip surgery – Ah, old men and their hips. (See, I can rebound from that whole “no more Chelios old jokes” thing …)
Hossa’s day with the Cup – A sad one for lazy hockey humorists worldwide. The dream is over. Time to go back to Rick Dipietro quips again.
* For the record, I loved Soundgarden in middle school and would gladly pay to see them if they toured in my area.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)