Aug 7, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
While he probably won’t fetch coffee or fix the copier, 48-year-old Chris Chelios seems like he’ll go from aged defenseman to over-the-hill intern with with the Detroit Red Wings. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press has the story.
“I don’t have a title for him, but he’s going to do a little player development,” general manager Ken Holland said. “After ’09 when I told him we weren’t going to re-sign him, I told him to keep in touch. He called me in May and told me he was going to take me up on my offer.”
“He can really help us in player development and as an ambassador,” Holland said. “(Coach) Mike Babcock has told me there’ll be times during the year he’ll lean on him. To some degree, it’ll be an internship for Cheli.”
Good for “Cheli,”and the Red Wings organization, then.
It’s often difficult for players to move on after retirement, especially guys who clearly couldn’t let go like Chelios. Who knows how much he’ll be able to pass along; if Wayne Gretzky’s shortcomings as a coach taught us anything, it’s that a great player doesn’t necessarily make a great coach. But judging from his career-long commitment to fitness and the game in general, he probably won’t lack for passion.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 39
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)