Aug 6, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
On a day where the Red Wings were beyond excited to introduce Mike Modano as the newest member of the Detroit Red Wings, you had to figure that somewhere a story about his signing with one of the Dallas Stars’ biggest rivals was going to pop up discussing the reasons for doing so. Having that story come from Mike Modano’s wife, Willa Ford was an unexpected turn of events.
Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan got the low-down from the part-time pop star and actress turned hockey wife and Stars fans might have someone to finally point their anger over Modano’s departure towards.
Mike Modano holds no grudges towards the Dallas Stars for not re-signing him, but he admits their decision not to bring him back will motivate him this season.
His wife, Mandy, an actress who goes by the stage name Willa Ford, seems even more motivated.
“I think it was more so on my wife’s radar than anything,” Modano said. “She wanted me to go play, and especially in Detroit to kind of shove it up everybody’s … you know.
“That was her precise words and she felt it was a great opportunity to do that in Detroit and loved the Red Wings and knew it was one of our rivals. She felt going in there and having the chance to play with good players was a real good opportunity.”
While we’ve seen other sports have their fair share of high-profile wives (pitcher Kris Benson’s wife Anna comes to mind) and the NHL has more than enough starlet girlfriends/wives (Hillary Duff with Mike Comrie and Carrie Underwood with Mike Fisher) having said spouse come out in such a feisty manner is something completely new for the NHL. Even going back to the days of Wayne Gretzky and Janet Jones, she never really spoke out about Wayne playing in Edmonton although The Great One being dealt to Los Angeles worked out pretty well for her modeling/acting career.
To have her speak out so as to want her husband to join Detroit solely to “shove it up Dallas’ you-know-what”… That’s the kind of smack-talk we enjoy seeing around these parts. While I doubt we’ll see Willa Ford get the same kind of treatment by television cameras that Kate Hudson got during the 2009 World Series while rooting for her then-boyfriend Alex Rodriguez, we can only imagine that Mrs. Modano’s trip to Dallas for the Wings game with the Stars on October 14th might be a bit uncomfortable with her getting booed in the press box will be prime footage for the folks in Texas.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)