Aug 6, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
Today has been a rough one for unimaginative hockey humorists. (I know I’m struggling, personally.)
If you haven’t heard already, we’ll be forced to find a new target for old man jokes, as 48-year-old defenseman Chris Chelios finally decided to hang up his skates. Perhaps it makes sense, then, that Chelios decided to retire today since other punchline victim Marian Hossa had his day with the Stanley Cup.
After coming oh-so-close with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings, Hossa took what some might call his mercenary path to glory by finally winning the Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks. The Cup traveled to Slovakia for Hossa (and his fellow teammate Tomas Kopecky).
Who wouldn’t want to take the Cup to their old stomping grounds, like a favorite “Mom and Pop” restaurant? Hossa did just that, as you can see in this video.
Of course, you can’t really bring the Cup with you without actually playing hockey, right? Residents/friends/family were so excited to play street hockey with Hossa, they even played in the rain.
Want to see more videos, particularly of Kopecky’s time with the Cup? Click here.
Congrats to Hossa … chances are he appreciated his day with the Cup even more than most of his teammates.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination