Aug 6, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
Today has been a rough one for unimaginative hockey humorists. (I know I’m struggling, personally.)
If you haven’t heard already, we’ll be forced to find a new target for old man jokes, as 48-year-old defenseman Chris Chelios finally decided to hang up his skates. Perhaps it makes sense, then, that Chelios decided to retire today since other punchline victim Marian Hossa had his day with the Stanley Cup.
After coming oh-so-close with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings, Hossa took what some might call his mercenary path to glory by finally winning the Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks. The Cup traveled to Slovakia for Hossa (and his fellow teammate Tomas Kopecky).
Who wouldn’t want to take the Cup to their old stomping grounds, like a favorite “Mom and Pop” restaurant? Hossa did just that, as you can see in this video.
Of course, you can’t really bring the Cup with you without actually playing hockey, right? Residents/friends/family were so excited to play street hockey with Hossa, they even played in the rain.
Want to see more videos, particularly of Kopecky’s time with the Cup? Click here.
Congrats to Hossa … chances are he appreciated his day with the Cup even more than most of his teammates.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)