Aug 6, 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
People who love making generic old jokes might be as sad as Stars fans will be watching Modano play as a Red Wing right now. While I must admit that I already thought this happened months ago, it appears that the 48-year-old Chris Chelios officially retired from hockey today according to ESPN’s EJ Hradek.
Chelios won’t waste time looking for a new job, though, as Hradek reports that he’ll stay close to the game anyway.
Chelios now will re-join the Wings organization in a yet to be determined management role. Another smart hire in Hockeytown!
The old jokes can be fun, but it’s a shame that playing beyond his prime might be the enduring legacy of his career. (I mean, he was drafted in 1981, before I was even a twinkle in my father’s eyes.) He took part in 26 seasons in the NHL, but hasn’t really make a big impact since the 2001-02 season, the last time he made an All Star team.
It’s a player’s right to hang up his skates whenever he wants, so congrats to Chelios on a great career.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)