Aug 6, 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
People who love making generic old jokes might be as sad as Stars fans will be watching Modano play as a Red Wing right now. While I must admit that I already thought this happened months ago, it appears that the 48-year-old Chris Chelios officially retired from hockey today according to ESPN’s EJ Hradek.
Chelios won’t waste time looking for a new job, though, as Hradek reports that he’ll stay close to the game anyway.
Chelios now will re-join the Wings organization in a yet to be determined management role. Another smart hire in Hockeytown!
The old jokes can be fun, but it’s a shame that playing beyond his prime might be the enduring legacy of his career. (I mean, he was drafted in 1981, before I was even a twinkle in my father’s eyes.) He took part in 26 seasons in the NHL, but hasn’t really make a big impact since the 2001-02 season, the last time he made an All Star team.
It’s a player’s right to hang up his skates whenever he wants, so congrats to Chelios on a great career.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 43
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1