Aug 6, 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
People who love making generic old jokes might be as sad as Stars fans will be watching Modano play as a Red Wing right now. While I must admit that I already thought this happened months ago, it appears that the 48-year-old Chris Chelios officially retired from hockey today according to ESPN’s EJ Hradek.
Chelios won’t waste time looking for a new job, though, as Hradek reports that he’ll stay close to the game anyway.
Chelios now will re-join the Wings organization in a yet to be determined management role. Another smart hire in Hockeytown!
The old jokes can be fun, but it’s a shame that playing beyond his prime might be the enduring legacy of his career. (I mean, he was drafted in 1981, before I was even a twinkle in my father’s eyes.) He took part in 26 seasons in the NHL, but hasn’t really make a big impact since the 2001-02 season, the last time he made an All Star team.
It’s a player’s right to hang up his skates whenever he wants, so congrats to Chelios on a great career.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)