Aug 6, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are finding ways to make sure they can keep some players from last season’s Stanley Cup championship team. NHL salary-guru site Cap Geek is reporting that part-time defenseman Jordan Hendry will re-sign with the the Blackhawks for one year at $600,000.
Should that pan out to be the case, this gives the Blackhawks six NHL-ready defensemen to start the year. Meanwhile everyone waits for the eventual announcement that goaltender Cristobal Huet will be put on waivers to be sent to the AHL to help fix Chicago’s salary cap situation.
Eliminating Cristobal Huet’s $5.625 million cap hit gives the Blackhawks around $2.5 million in cap space. While you can’t expect them to go fishing for someone too pricey, expect that Chicago will fill out their depth at forward with the likes of veteran depth players like Jeff Taffe ($550,000) or with younger players like Igor Makarov ($552,500) or Kyle Beach ($1.17 million). Defenseman Ian Vishnevskiy, acquired from Atlanta for Dustin Byfuglien, figures in as a possible solution to defensive depth.
(photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)