Aug 6, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are finding ways to make sure they can keep some players from last season’s Stanley Cup championship team. NHL salary-guru site Cap Geek is reporting that part-time defenseman Jordan Hendry will re-sign with the the Blackhawks for one year at $600,000.
Should that pan out to be the case, this gives the Blackhawks six NHL-ready defensemen to start the year. Meanwhile everyone waits for the eventual announcement that goaltender Cristobal Huet will be put on waivers to be sent to the AHL to help fix Chicago’s salary cap situation.
Eliminating Cristobal Huet’s $5.625 million cap hit gives the Blackhawks around $2.5 million in cap space. While you can’t expect them to go fishing for someone too pricey, expect that Chicago will fill out their depth at forward with the likes of veteran depth players like Jeff Taffe ($550,000) or with younger players like Igor Makarov ($552,500) or Kyle Beach ($1.17 million). Defenseman Ian Vishnevskiy, acquired from Atlanta for Dustin Byfuglien, figures in as a possible solution to defensive depth.
(photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)