Aug 6, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are finding ways to make sure they can keep some players from last season’s Stanley Cup championship team. NHL salary-guru site Cap Geek is reporting that part-time defenseman Jordan Hendry will re-sign with the the Blackhawks for one year at $600,000.
Should that pan out to be the case, this gives the Blackhawks six NHL-ready defensemen to start the year. Meanwhile everyone waits for the eventual announcement that goaltender Cristobal Huet will be put on waivers to be sent to the AHL to help fix Chicago’s salary cap situation.
Eliminating Cristobal Huet’s $5.625 million cap hit gives the Blackhawks around $2.5 million in cap space. While you can’t expect them to go fishing for someone too pricey, expect that Chicago will fill out their depth at forward with the likes of veteran depth players like Jeff Taffe ($550,000) or with younger players like Igor Makarov ($552,500) or Kyle Beach ($1.17 million). Defenseman Ian Vishnevskiy, acquired from Atlanta for Dustin Byfuglien, figures in as a possible solution to defensive depth.
(photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)