Aug 5, 2010, 1:00 AM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Gary Bettman will not attend the Ilya Kovalchuk grievance hearing – So I guess fans won’t get the chance to boo him when he drinks water or gets up to go to the bathroom?
Discussing Eric Gudbranson’s chances to make the Florida Panthers this year – It’s really amazing how many draft picks make an immediate jump to the NHL in the first place.
Bruins cap problems are a short-term headache needing a fix – Ultimately I like what the team is doing, but they need to make the right moves to shed salary for sure.
Red Wings re-sign Darren Helm – $1.8 million for two years is bargain for a nice hustle player like Helm. His speed scared me consistently during the Stanley Cup finals series (both of them) against the Penguins.
Information on negotiations between the Habs and Carey Price – Montreal really made things easier for Price to get a good contract when they shipped Jaroslav Halak out of town. Of course, things won’t be so easy for Price the first time he gets shellacked in a game.
NHL announces 2011 Heritage Classic, unveils jerseys – I’m not the first person to say this by any means, but those Calgary Flames jerseys are terrible. Seriously.
Mandi Schwartz finds a donor – Great to hear that Jaden Schwartz’s sister took a big step in her fight against cancer.
Could Jeremy Morin help ease the loss of Dustin Byfuglien? – Either way, the Blackhawks received a nice package in exchange for the bombastic Byfuglien.
Looking to see if Al Abour created an NFL-style “coaching tree” – It doesn’t appear that way, but the story is pretty interesting anyway.
Kovalchuk update: The hearing should conclude on Thursday, but we won’t know for a few days.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46