Aug 5, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Gary Bettman will not attend the Ilya Kovalchuk grievance hearing – So I guess fans won’t get the chance to boo him when he drinks water or gets up to go to the bathroom?
Discussing Eric Gudbranson’s chances to make the Florida Panthers this year – It’s really amazing how many draft picks make an immediate jump to the NHL in the first place.
Bruins cap problems are a short-term headache needing a fix – Ultimately I like what the team is doing, but they need to make the right moves to shed salary for sure.
Red Wings re-sign Darren Helm – $1.8 million for two years is bargain for a nice hustle player like Helm. His speed scared me consistently during the Stanley Cup finals series (both of them) against the Penguins.
Information on negotiations between the Habs and Carey Price – Montreal really made things easier for Price to get a good contract when they shipped Jaroslav Halak out of town. Of course, things won’t be so easy for Price the first time he gets shellacked in a game.
NHL announces 2011 Heritage Classic, unveils jerseys – I’m not the first person to say this by any means, but those Calgary Flames jerseys are terrible. Seriously.
Mandi Schwartz finds a donor – Great to hear that Jaden Schwartz’s sister took a big step in her fight against cancer.
Could Jeremy Morin help ease the loss of Dustin Byfuglien? – Either way, the Blackhawks received a nice package in exchange for the bombastic Byfuglien.
Looking to see if Al Abour created an NFL-style “coaching tree” – It doesn’t appear that way, but the story is pretty interesting anyway.
Kovalchuk update: The hearing should conclude on Thursday, but we won’t know for a few days.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6