Aug 5, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Gary Bettman will not attend the Ilya Kovalchuk grievance hearing – So I guess fans won’t get the chance to boo him when he drinks water or gets up to go to the bathroom?
Discussing Eric Gudbranson’s chances to make the Florida Panthers this year – It’s really amazing how many draft picks make an immediate jump to the NHL in the first place.
Bruins cap problems are a short-term headache needing a fix – Ultimately I like what the team is doing, but they need to make the right moves to shed salary for sure.
Red Wings re-sign Darren Helm – $1.8 million for two years is bargain for a nice hustle player like Helm. His speed scared me consistently during the Stanley Cup finals series (both of them) against the Penguins.
Information on negotiations between the Habs and Carey Price – Montreal really made things easier for Price to get a good contract when they shipped Jaroslav Halak out of town. Of course, things won’t be so easy for Price the first time he gets shellacked in a game.
NHL announces 2011 Heritage Classic, unveils jerseys – I’m not the first person to say this by any means, but those Calgary Flames jerseys are terrible. Seriously.
Mandi Schwartz finds a donor – Great to hear that Jaden Schwartz’s sister took a big step in her fight against cancer.
Could Jeremy Morin help ease the loss of Dustin Byfuglien? – Either way, the Blackhawks received a nice package in exchange for the bombastic Byfuglien.
Looking to see if Al Abour created an NFL-style “coaching tree” – It doesn’t appear that way, but the story is pretty interesting anyway.
Kovalchuk update: The hearing should conclude on Thursday, but we won’t know for a few days.
- Devils re-sign Greene to long-term pact 0
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 35
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)