Aug 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
You’re probably already aware that Mike Modano will be a Detroit Red Wing next season, but it’s always good to hear it from the “horse’s mouth.” That’s exactly what happened today, as the team provided an official release and Modano confirmed the reports with Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika.
Considering that Dallas-area fans are already going through the arduous process of following the Texas Rangers auction, it’s a tough week for DFW sports devotees. Here’s what Modano told Heika about leaving the team he represented for more than two decades.
“It’s still a little disappointing and a little strange, but I’ve gotten over it as time has gone on. I know what Joe is thinking, and there’s no hard feelings there. He has to do what he has to do. But, I want to play, and I think I can still play, and I really think Detroit is the best place to do that. They have a lot of guys who are closer to my age, and I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. You look at that team and the way they play hockey, and you get excited about how you fit and how it would be to play on that team. I’m looking forward to it.”
As Joe pointed out, Modano won’t be able to wear No. 9 since some fairly important player sported that number in Detroit. Instead, it seems like he’ll probably go with No. 90 instead.
The actual press conference is scheduled to take place on Friday.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)