Aug 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
You’re probably already aware that Mike Modano will be a Detroit Red Wing next season, but it’s always good to hear it from the “horse’s mouth.” That’s exactly what happened today, as the team provided an official release and Modano confirmed the reports with Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika.
Considering that Dallas-area fans are already going through the arduous process of following the Texas Rangers auction, it’s a tough week for DFW sports devotees. Here’s what Modano told Heika about leaving the team he represented for more than two decades.
“It’s still a little disappointing and a little strange, but I’ve gotten over it as time has gone on. I know what Joe is thinking, and there’s no hard feelings there. He has to do what he has to do. But, I want to play, and I think I can still play, and I really think Detroit is the best place to do that. They have a lot of guys who are closer to my age, and I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. You look at that team and the way they play hockey, and you get excited about how you fit and how it would be to play on that team. I’m looking forward to it.”
As Joe pointed out, Modano won’t be able to wear No. 9 since some fairly important player sported that number in Detroit. Instead, it seems like he’ll probably go with No. 90 instead.
The actual press conference is scheduled to take place on Friday.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 22
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 16
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 49
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 92
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)