Aug 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
You’re probably already aware that Mike Modano will be a Detroit Red Wing next season, but it’s always good to hear it from the “horse’s mouth.” That’s exactly what happened today, as the team provided an official release and Modano confirmed the reports with Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika.
Considering that Dallas-area fans are already going through the arduous process of following the Texas Rangers auction, it’s a tough week for DFW sports devotees. Here’s what Modano told Heika about leaving the team he represented for more than two decades.
“It’s still a little disappointing and a little strange, but I’ve gotten over it as time has gone on. I know what Joe is thinking, and there’s no hard feelings there. He has to do what he has to do. But, I want to play, and I think I can still play, and I really think Detroit is the best place to do that. They have a lot of guys who are closer to my age, and I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. You look at that team and the way they play hockey, and you get excited about how you fit and how it would be to play on that team. I’m looking forward to it.”
As Joe pointed out, Modano won’t be able to wear No. 9 since some fairly important player sported that number in Detroit. Instead, it seems like he’ll probably go with No. 90 instead.
The actual press conference is scheduled to take place on Friday.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5