Aug 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
You’re probably already aware that Mike Modano will be a Detroit Red Wing next season, but it’s always good to hear it from the “horse’s mouth.” That’s exactly what happened today, as the team provided an official release and Modano confirmed the reports with Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika.
Considering that Dallas-area fans are already going through the arduous process of following the Texas Rangers auction, it’s a tough week for DFW sports devotees. Here’s what Modano told Heika about leaving the team he represented for more than two decades.
“It’s still a little disappointing and a little strange, but I’ve gotten over it as time has gone on. I know what Joe is thinking, and there’s no hard feelings there. He has to do what he has to do. But, I want to play, and I think I can still play, and I really think Detroit is the best place to do that. They have a lot of guys who are closer to my age, and I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. You look at that team and the way they play hockey, and you get excited about how you fit and how it would be to play on that team. I’m looking forward to it.”
As Joe pointed out, Modano won’t be able to wear No. 9 since some fairly important player sported that number in Detroit. Instead, it seems like he’ll probably go with No. 90 instead.
The actual press conference is scheduled to take place on Friday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)