Aug 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
You’re probably already aware that Mike Modano will be a Detroit Red Wing next season, but it’s always good to hear it from the “horse’s mouth.” That’s exactly what happened today, as the team provided an official release and Modano confirmed the reports with Dallas Stars beat writer Mike Heika.
Considering that Dallas-area fans are already going through the arduous process of following the Texas Rangers auction, it’s a tough week for DFW sports devotees. Here’s what Modano told Heika about leaving the team he represented for more than two decades.
“It’s still a little disappointing and a little strange, but I’ve gotten over it as time has gone on. I know what Joe is thinking, and there’s no hard feelings there. He has to do what he has to do. But, I want to play, and I think I can still play, and I really think Detroit is the best place to do that. They have a lot of guys who are closer to my age, and I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. You look at that team and the way they play hockey, and you get excited about how you fit and how it would be to play on that team. I’m looking forward to it.”
As Joe pointed out, Modano won’t be able to wear No. 9 since some fairly important player sported that number in Detroit. Instead, it seems like he’ll probably go with No. 90 instead.
The actual press conference is scheduled to take place on Friday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)