Aug 5, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Joe shared an update on the Carey Price situation yesterday, but there’s a little bit more circulating about the hot-prospect-turned-enigma in Montreal’s net. Any goalie rotation with question marks will probably generate some Antti Niemi rumors, so you can’t blame Price’s agent for clearing the air.
Here is his quote, via TSN by way of the Montreal Gazette.
Price’s agent Gerry Johannson told the Montreal Gazette on Wednesday his understanding was that there was no truth to the rumours that the Habs could go after unrestricted free agent netminder Antti Niemi.
The rest was covered by Joe yesterday. If you need clarification, Johannson said that the slow pace is “relatively normal” and that he expects the two sides to come to an agreement at the end of the month. Price also apparently is looking for a short-term contract.
While Price hasn’t really produced at the level expected of him, he’s in a strong bargaining position considering the fact that the team put a lot of hypothetical eggs in his basket. We’ll keep you up to date as word trickles out about the negotiations … especially if Johannson ends up being wrong and the team goes after Niemi after all.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31