Aug 5, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Joe shared an update on the Carey Price situation yesterday, but there’s a little bit more circulating about the hot-prospect-turned-enigma in Montreal’s net. Any goalie rotation with question marks will probably generate some Antti Niemi rumors, so you can’t blame Price’s agent for clearing the air.
Here is his quote, via TSN by way of the Montreal Gazette.
Price’s agent Gerry Johannson told the Montreal Gazette on Wednesday his understanding was that there was no truth to the rumours that the Habs could go after unrestricted free agent netminder Antti Niemi.
The rest was covered by Joe yesterday. If you need clarification, Johannson said that the slow pace is “relatively normal” and that he expects the two sides to come to an agreement at the end of the month. Price also apparently is looking for a short-term contract.
While Price hasn’t really produced at the level expected of him, he’s in a strong bargaining position considering the fact that the team put a lot of hypothetical eggs in his basket. We’ll keep you up to date as word trickles out about the negotiations … especially if Johannson ends up being wrong and the team goes after Niemi after all.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)