Aug 4, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
The Bruins have found the man to replace Craig Ramsay as assistant coach, hiring former Montreal assistant coach Doug Jarvis to take the job. Jarvis is filling a role that he’s familiar with as he was Claude Julien’s assistant in Montreal during the 2005-2006 season. That year, Julien was replaced by Bob Gainey halfway through the season and the Canadiens lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.
Jarvis is a former player and spent his formative years playing with the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup in his first four seasons. Not a bad way to start a playing career. Jarvis does have a couple of other rather notable distinctions from his playing career. If you’re looking for information to dazzle your friends at trivia, here you go.
He holds the NHL record for consecutive games played at 976 straight and he was part of the trade that saw hall of fame defenseman Rod Langway traded to the Washington Capitals as Langway and Jarvis were part of a group sent to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. The other two players that Montreal sent to Washington in that deal might be more recognizable by fans today as they were current Caps television color commentator Craig Laughlin and Versus panelist Brian Engblom. If you’re keeping track at home, the Habs gave up a hall of famer, a future assistant coach, and two television personalities in just one trade. No word on whether or not Engblom’s hair was as crazy then as it is now.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 5
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 27
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)