Aug 4, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
The Bruins have found the man to replace Craig Ramsay as assistant coach, hiring former Montreal assistant coach Doug Jarvis to take the job. Jarvis is filling a role that he’s familiar with as he was Claude Julien’s assistant in Montreal during the 2005-2006 season. That year, Julien was replaced by Bob Gainey halfway through the season and the Canadiens lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.
Jarvis is a former player and spent his formative years playing with the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup in his first four seasons. Not a bad way to start a playing career. Jarvis does have a couple of other rather notable distinctions from his playing career. If you’re looking for information to dazzle your friends at trivia, here you go.
He holds the NHL record for consecutive games played at 976 straight and he was part of the trade that saw hall of fame defenseman Rod Langway traded to the Washington Capitals as Langway and Jarvis were part of a group sent to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. The other two players that Montreal sent to Washington in that deal might be more recognizable by fans today as they were current Caps television color commentator Craig Laughlin and Versus panelist Brian Engblom. If you’re keeping track at home, the Habs gave up a hall of famer, a future assistant coach, and two television personalities in just one trade. No word on whether or not Engblom’s hair was as crazy then as it is now.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)