Aug 4, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
The Bruins have found the man to replace Craig Ramsay as assistant coach, hiring former Montreal assistant coach Doug Jarvis to take the job. Jarvis is filling a role that he’s familiar with as he was Claude Julien’s assistant in Montreal during the 2005-2006 season. That year, Julien was replaced by Bob Gainey halfway through the season and the Canadiens lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.
Jarvis is a former player and spent his formative years playing with the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup in his first four seasons. Not a bad way to start a playing career. Jarvis does have a couple of other rather notable distinctions from his playing career. If you’re looking for information to dazzle your friends at trivia, here you go.
He holds the NHL record for consecutive games played at 976 straight and he was part of the trade that saw hall of fame defenseman Rod Langway traded to the Washington Capitals as Langway and Jarvis were part of a group sent to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. The other two players that Montreal sent to Washington in that deal might be more recognizable by fans today as they were current Caps television color commentator Craig Laughlin and Versus panelist Brian Engblom. If you’re keeping track at home, the Habs gave up a hall of famer, a future assistant coach, and two television personalities in just one trade. No word on whether or not Engblom’s hair was as crazy then as it is now.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)