Aug 4, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
The Bruins have found the man to replace Craig Ramsay as assistant coach, hiring former Montreal assistant coach Doug Jarvis to take the job. Jarvis is filling a role that he’s familiar with as he was Claude Julien’s assistant in Montreal during the 2005-2006 season. That year, Julien was replaced by Bob Gainey halfway through the season and the Canadiens lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.
Jarvis is a former player and spent his formative years playing with the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup in his first four seasons. Not a bad way to start a playing career. Jarvis does have a couple of other rather notable distinctions from his playing career. If you’re looking for information to dazzle your friends at trivia, here you go.
He holds the NHL record for consecutive games played at 976 straight and he was part of the trade that saw hall of fame defenseman Rod Langway traded to the Washington Capitals as Langway and Jarvis were part of a group sent to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. The other two players that Montreal sent to Washington in that deal might be more recognizable by fans today as they were current Caps television color commentator Craig Laughlin and Versus panelist Brian Engblom. If you’re keeping track at home, the Habs gave up a hall of famer, a future assistant coach, and two television personalities in just one trade. No word on whether or not Engblom’s hair was as crazy then as it is now.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)