Aug 4, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
The Bruins have found the man to replace Craig Ramsay as assistant coach, hiring former Montreal assistant coach Doug Jarvis to take the job. Jarvis is filling a role that he’s familiar with as he was Claude Julien’s assistant in Montreal during the 2005-2006 season. That year, Julien was replaced by Bob Gainey halfway through the season and the Canadiens lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.
Jarvis is a former player and spent his formative years playing with the Canadiens and winning the Stanley Cup in his first four seasons. Not a bad way to start a playing career. Jarvis does have a couple of other rather notable distinctions from his playing career. If you’re looking for information to dazzle your friends at trivia, here you go.
He holds the NHL record for consecutive games played at 976 straight and he was part of the trade that saw hall of fame defenseman Rod Langway traded to the Washington Capitals as Langway and Jarvis were part of a group sent to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. The other two players that Montreal sent to Washington in that deal might be more recognizable by fans today as they were current Caps television color commentator Craig Laughlin and Versus panelist Brian Engblom. If you’re keeping track at home, the Habs gave up a hall of famer, a future assistant coach, and two television personalities in just one trade. No word on whether or not Engblom’s hair was as crazy then as it is now.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)