Aug 4, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators made two small depth signings today, inking defenseman David Hale and forward Francis Lessard to one-year, two-way contracts according to TSN. Financial details were not disclosed, but with most two-way deals, the money amounts were probably very low.
Hale was once a product of the New Jersey Devils system and though he’s stuck at the NHL level during his career, his results have been unremarkable. Take a look at TSN’s write-up on the marginal defenseman.
Hale spent last season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, collecting four assists in 39 games. Over his six-year NHL career with the Devils, Flames, Coyotes and Bolts, the Colorado Springs native has tallied three times with 24 points in 302 contests.
Lessard might be even less of an impact guy, though. He hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2005-06 season with the Atlanta Thrashers. He played 61 games with the San Antonio Rampage last season, putting up four points and a substantial 289 penalty minutes. Here’s a little more from TSN.
His last appearance in the NHL came with Atlanta in 2005-06, a six-game stint where he did not record a point. The former 1997 draft pick of Carolina played in 91 games from 2001-06 with the Thrashers, picking up a goal and four points with 268 penalty minutes.
So let it be known that Lessard won’t be playing in the NHL for his scoring ability. It’s obvious that he’s a bruiser/enforcer, one of the most replaceable roles in the league even if players such as Derek Boogaard are being paid more than a million and a half dollars per season to play the part.
Both players might not amount to more than drops in the bucket for the Ottawa Senators, although Hale could soak up minutes like an “innings eating” pitcher while the team could turn to Lessard if they need a little muscle.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)