Aug 4, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators made two small depth signings today, inking defenseman David Hale and forward Francis Lessard to one-year, two-way contracts according to TSN. Financial details were not disclosed, but with most two-way deals, the money amounts were probably very low.
Hale was once a product of the New Jersey Devils system and though he’s stuck at the NHL level during his career, his results have been unremarkable. Take a look at TSN’s write-up on the marginal defenseman.
Hale spent last season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, collecting four assists in 39 games. Over his six-year NHL career with the Devils, Flames, Coyotes and Bolts, the Colorado Springs native has tallied three times with 24 points in 302 contests.
Lessard might be even less of an impact guy, though. He hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2005-06 season with the Atlanta Thrashers. He played 61 games with the San Antonio Rampage last season, putting up four points and a substantial 289 penalty minutes. Here’s a little more from TSN.
His last appearance in the NHL came with Atlanta in 2005-06, a six-game stint where he did not record a point. The former 1997 draft pick of Carolina played in 91 games from 2001-06 with the Thrashers, picking up a goal and four points with 268 penalty minutes.
So let it be known that Lessard won’t be playing in the NHL for his scoring ability. It’s obvious that he’s a bruiser/enforcer, one of the most replaceable roles in the league even if players such as Derek Boogaard are being paid more than a million and a half dollars per season to play the part.
Both players might not amount to more than drops in the bucket for the Ottawa Senators, although Hale could soak up minutes like an “innings eating” pitcher while the team could turn to Lessard if they need a little muscle.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)