Aug 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
With the impending signing of Mike Modano, the Detroit Red Wings are taking care of the rest of their business at last. TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets the news of Darren Helm re-signing with the Red Wings for two years.
Helm 2 year ext with Det. $825,000 and $1 mil.
With those salary numbers, Helm’s cap hit with the Red Wings works out to be $912,500 for those two years and turns out to be a great bargain for the team. Helm emerged during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2008 as one of the fastest skaters in the NHL and as a tenacious penalty killer.
With Mike Modano in the fold with the team as the likely third line center, the fourth line shapes up to be a jack-of-all-trades defensive line with Helm, Kris Draper and either Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, or Justin Abdelkader. Abdelkader is team’s last restricted free agent waiting to be signed and should get a deal done soon. The Wings, once Modano is signed, will have just about $1.5 million left on the cap to get Abdelkader and a depth defenseman signed. Not a bad place to be all things considered. If the Wings can’t add a depth defenseman, they’ll be going with either Jakub Kindl or Derek Meech as the sixth defenseman.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)