Aug 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
With the impending signing of Mike Modano, the Detroit Red Wings are taking care of the rest of their business at last. TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets the news of Darren Helm re-signing with the Red Wings for two years.
Helm 2 year ext with Det. $825,000 and $1 mil.
With those salary numbers, Helm’s cap hit with the Red Wings works out to be $912,500 for those two years and turns out to be a great bargain for the team. Helm emerged during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2008 as one of the fastest skaters in the NHL and as a tenacious penalty killer.
With Mike Modano in the fold with the team as the likely third line center, the fourth line shapes up to be a jack-of-all-trades defensive line with Helm, Kris Draper and either Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, or Justin Abdelkader. Abdelkader is team’s last restricted free agent waiting to be signed and should get a deal done soon. The Wings, once Modano is signed, will have just about $1.5 million left on the cap to get Abdelkader and a depth defenseman signed. Not a bad place to be all things considered. If the Wings can’t add a depth defenseman, they’ll be going with either Jakub Kindl or Derek Meech as the sixth defenseman.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)