Aug 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
With the impending signing of Mike Modano, the Detroit Red Wings are taking care of the rest of their business at last. TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets the news of Darren Helm re-signing with the Red Wings for two years.
Helm 2 year ext with Det. $825,000 and $1 mil.
With those salary numbers, Helm’s cap hit with the Red Wings works out to be $912,500 for those two years and turns out to be a great bargain for the team. Helm emerged during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2008 as one of the fastest skaters in the NHL and as a tenacious penalty killer.
With Mike Modano in the fold with the team as the likely third line center, the fourth line shapes up to be a jack-of-all-trades defensive line with Helm, Kris Draper and either Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, or Justin Abdelkader. Abdelkader is team’s last restricted free agent waiting to be signed and should get a deal done soon. The Wings, once Modano is signed, will have just about $1.5 million left on the cap to get Abdelkader and a depth defenseman signed. Not a bad place to be all things considered. If the Wings can’t add a depth defenseman, they’ll be going with either Jakub Kindl or Derek Meech as the sixth defenseman.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)