Aug 4, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks announced two minor signings today, as Mario Bliznak and Sean Zimmerman re-upped with the team. Nucks Misconduct points out that Bliznak’s deal will be worth $550K while Zimmerman’s will reportedly be worth $500K.
Both players will be very new to Canucks fans, even though they are in the team’s system.
Bliznak’s name makes me think of random shorthand slang Snoop Dogg used in the late 90s*, but if you want more detailed information about what he can do on the ice, here’s a little info from the Canucks.
Bliznak, 23, played in two NHL contests with Vancouver in 2009.10. He registered 28 points (13-15-28) and 40 penalty minutes in 76 games with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. The 6’0″, 192 lbs. native of Trencin, Slovakia, was originally selected by Vancouver, 205th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
* – By that logic, I guess his last name would be Blinak or Binak? Yes, you’re justified in rolling your eyes at me.
Zimmerman, meanwhile, was part of the trade that sent aging defenseman Mathieu Schneider to the Phoenix Coyotes last season. Here are a few more tidbits about the 6-2, 220 lb. defenseman.
Zimmerman, 23, played 72 games with the San Antonio Rampage last season recording nine points (2-7-9) and 105 penalty minutes. The 6’2″, 200 lbs. defenceman is native of Denver, Colorado and was originally drafted by New Jersey, 170th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)