Aug 4, 2010, 9:10 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks announced two minor signings today, as Mario Bliznak and Sean Zimmerman re-upped with the team. Nucks Misconduct points out that Bliznak’s deal will be worth $550K while Zimmerman’s will reportedly be worth $500K.
Both players will be very new to Canucks fans, even though they are in the team’s system.
Bliznak’s name makes me think of random shorthand slang Snoop Dogg used in the late 90s*, but if you want more detailed information about what he can do on the ice, here’s a little info from the Canucks.
Bliznak, 23, played in two NHL contests with Vancouver in 2009.10. He registered 28 points (13-15-28) and 40 penalty minutes in 76 games with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. The 6’0″, 192 lbs. native of Trencin, Slovakia, was originally selected by Vancouver, 205th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
* – By that logic, I guess his last name would be Blinak or Binak? Yes, you’re justified in rolling your eyes at me.
Zimmerman, meanwhile, was part of the trade that sent aging defenseman Mathieu Schneider to the Phoenix Coyotes last season. Here are a few more tidbits about the 6-2, 220 lb. defenseman.
Zimmerman, 23, played 72 games with the San Antonio Rampage last season recording nine points (2-7-9) and 105 penalty minutes. The 6’2″, 200 lbs. defenceman is native of Denver, Colorado and was originally drafted by New Jersey, 170th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)