Aug 4, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks announced two minor signings today, as Mario Bliznak and Sean Zimmerman re-upped with the team. Nucks Misconduct points out that Bliznak’s deal will be worth $550K while Zimmerman’s will reportedly be worth $500K.
Both players will be very new to Canucks fans, even though they are in the team’s system.
Bliznak’s name makes me think of random shorthand slang Snoop Dogg used in the late 90s*, but if you want more detailed information about what he can do on the ice, here’s a little info from the Canucks.
Bliznak, 23, played in two NHL contests with Vancouver in 2009.10. He registered 28 points (13-15-28) and 40 penalty minutes in 76 games with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. The 6’0″, 192 lbs. native of Trencin, Slovakia, was originally selected by Vancouver, 205th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
* – By that logic, I guess his last name would be Blinak or Binak? Yes, you’re justified in rolling your eyes at me.
Zimmerman, meanwhile, was part of the trade that sent aging defenseman Mathieu Schneider to the Phoenix Coyotes last season. Here are a few more tidbits about the 6-2, 220 lb. defenseman.
Zimmerman, 23, played 72 games with the San Antonio Rampage last season recording nine points (2-7-9) and 105 penalty minutes. The 6’2″, 200 lbs. defenceman is native of Denver, Colorado and was originally drafted by New Jersey, 170th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28