Aug 3, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
A few bits about the Vancouver Canucks today:
- GM Mike Gillis changed the team’s assistant coaching staff up a bit today. TSN reports that they replaced Ryan Walter with Newell Brown.
Ryan Walter is out as an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks.
“The decision was mine,” Mike Gillis, the Canucks’ president and general manager, said Tuesday. “I will leave it at that.”
In Walter’s place the Canucks have hired Newell Brown to the NHL team’s coaching staff.
Associate coach Rick Bowness and Darryl Williams, the assistant coach in charge of video, have also been re-signed.
Brown, 48, joins the Canucks after spending the last five seasons as an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks. He has also worked as an assistant coach for the Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks over a 13-year NHL coaching career.
- Willie Mitchell’s free agent status is gaining some attention in the last week. Yesterday, I discussed his improving health while Guts McTavish points out that Gillis stated that “he fully intends to talk to Willie Mitchell about his future with the team” and that the cap won’t be an issue on the radio today. While I find it difficult to believe that the cap won’t be an issue, this has to be music to the ears of Canucks fans. We’ll see if that’s just good PR on Gillis’s part or if there’s some credence to his comments.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)