Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation seems stuck in neutral, but we want to keep you updated even with there’s just a morsel of information being released. John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca reports that there are three more groups looking into buying the Coyotes beyond the longtime leading (but financially shaky) candidate Ice Edge Holdings.
While Ice Edge Holdings is still talking with the City of Glendale about the long-term lease of Jobing.com Arena, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to Sportsnet’s John Shannon that the City is also talking with three other groups about the arena and team.
One of those groups is said to include Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few months while Ice Edge has tried to negotiate a lease and also prove it has the financing in place to own the NHL team.
Despite having a borderline-sensational 2009-10 campaign, the ownership struggles are clearly impacting the team at the box office. Shannon shares these sad details about the 2010-11 season as of this date.
On a related topic, another source close to the team said that only 1,800 season tickets have been sold for the 2010-11 season. A disappointing number considering the team’s on-ice performance last season.
The Coyotes are going to continue to bleed money and provide the league with a serious burden if a resolution isn’t reached sometime in the near future. I hate to say it, but is this really better than dealing with the sneaky moves made by deep-pocketed Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie? Time will tell, but it’s moving along pretty slowly right now.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)