Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation seems stuck in neutral, but we want to keep you updated even with there’s just a morsel of information being released. John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca reports that there are three more groups looking into buying the Coyotes beyond the longtime leading (but financially shaky) candidate Ice Edge Holdings.
While Ice Edge Holdings is still talking with the City of Glendale about the long-term lease of Jobing.com Arena, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to Sportsnet’s John Shannon that the City is also talking with three other groups about the arena and team.
One of those groups is said to include Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few months while Ice Edge has tried to negotiate a lease and also prove it has the financing in place to own the NHL team.
Despite having a borderline-sensational 2009-10 campaign, the ownership struggles are clearly impacting the team at the box office. Shannon shares these sad details about the 2010-11 season as of this date.
On a related topic, another source close to the team said that only 1,800 season tickets have been sold for the 2010-11 season. A disappointing number considering the team’s on-ice performance last season.
The Coyotes are going to continue to bleed money and provide the league with a serious burden if a resolution isn’t reached sometime in the near future. I hate to say it, but is this really better than dealing with the sneaky moves made by deep-pocketed Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie? Time will tell, but it’s moving along pretty slowly right now.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)