Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation seems stuck in neutral, but we want to keep you updated even with there’s just a morsel of information being released. John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca reports that there are three more groups looking into buying the Coyotes beyond the longtime leading (but financially shaky) candidate Ice Edge Holdings.
While Ice Edge Holdings is still talking with the City of Glendale about the long-term lease of Jobing.com Arena, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to Sportsnet’s John Shannon that the City is also talking with three other groups about the arena and team.
One of those groups is said to include Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few months while Ice Edge has tried to negotiate a lease and also prove it has the financing in place to own the NHL team.
Despite having a borderline-sensational 2009-10 campaign, the ownership struggles are clearly impacting the team at the box office. Shannon shares these sad details about the 2010-11 season as of this date.
On a related topic, another source close to the team said that only 1,800 season tickets have been sold for the 2010-11 season. A disappointing number considering the team’s on-ice performance last season.
The Coyotes are going to continue to bleed money and provide the league with a serious burden if a resolution isn’t reached sometime in the near future. I hate to say it, but is this really better than dealing with the sneaky moves made by deep-pocketed Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie? Time will tell, but it’s moving along pretty slowly right now.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)