Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation seems stuck in neutral, but we want to keep you updated even with there’s just a morsel of information being released. John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca reports that there are three more groups looking into buying the Coyotes beyond the longtime leading (but financially shaky) candidate Ice Edge Holdings.
While Ice Edge Holdings is still talking with the City of Glendale about the long-term lease of Jobing.com Arena, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to Sportsnet’s John Shannon that the City is also talking with three other groups about the arena and team.
One of those groups is said to include Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few months while Ice Edge has tried to negotiate a lease and also prove it has the financing in place to own the NHL team.
Despite having a borderline-sensational 2009-10 campaign, the ownership struggles are clearly impacting the team at the box office. Shannon shares these sad details about the 2010-11 season as of this date.
On a related topic, another source close to the team said that only 1,800 season tickets have been sold for the 2010-11 season. A disappointing number considering the team’s on-ice performance last season.
The Coyotes are going to continue to bleed money and provide the league with a serious burden if a resolution isn’t reached sometime in the near future. I hate to say it, but is this really better than dealing with the sneaky moves made by deep-pocketed Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie? Time will tell, but it’s moving along pretty slowly right now.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)