Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation seems stuck in neutral, but we want to keep you updated even with there’s just a morsel of information being released. John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca reports that there are three more groups looking into buying the Coyotes beyond the longtime leading (but financially shaky) candidate Ice Edge Holdings.
While Ice Edge Holdings is still talking with the City of Glendale about the long-term lease of Jobing.com Arena, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to Sportsnet’s John Shannon that the City is also talking with three other groups about the arena and team.
One of those groups is said to include Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few months while Ice Edge has tried to negotiate a lease and also prove it has the financing in place to own the NHL team.
Despite having a borderline-sensational 2009-10 campaign, the ownership struggles are clearly impacting the team at the box office. Shannon shares these sad details about the 2010-11 season as of this date.
On a related topic, another source close to the team said that only 1,800 season tickets have been sold for the 2010-11 season. A disappointing number considering the team’s on-ice performance last season.
The Coyotes are going to continue to bleed money and provide the league with a serious burden if a resolution isn’t reached sometime in the near future. I hate to say it, but is this really better than dealing with the sneaky moves made by deep-pocketed Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie? Time will tell, but it’s moving along pretty slowly right now.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games