Aug 3, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
If reports are accurate, Mike Modano will officially announce that he’s a member of the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday. It’s not a done deal until the words leave his chipmunk-toothed mouth, but my guess is Dallas Stars fans will be doing some grief eating this morning anyway.
“Big announcement Thursday,” Modano sent in a text Monday.
Modano, 40, wouldn’t reveal his hand. But a source with knowledge of the decision, who did not want to upstage the announcement, confirmed that the Westland native was coming home after 20 seasons with the Dallas franchise, where he became the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history.
General manager Ken Holland would only say that he was hopeful.
St. James writes that the Red Wings offered Modano a one-year, $1.25 million deal to play around his hometown in Motown. (I can just see that horrible Mikey Motown headlines now …)
I’m not sure I agree with the author’s assessment that Modano “instantly transforms them into a team with three legitimate scoring lines” simply because I’m not completely convinced that he’s a legitimate scorer anymore. Still, if that ends up being the price, then you cannot really blame the Red Wings for taking the gamble. Make no mistake about it, though, with his name recognition and advanced age (he’s currently 40), this would be a gamble.
We’ll bring you word once/if it becomes official, but consider this a very reliable rumor at this point.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)