Aug 3, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
If reports are accurate, Mike Modano will officially announce that he’s a member of the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday. It’s not a done deal until the words leave his chipmunk-toothed mouth, but my guess is Dallas Stars fans will be doing some grief eating this morning anyway.
“Big announcement Thursday,” Modano sent in a text Monday.
Modano, 40, wouldn’t reveal his hand. But a source with knowledge of the decision, who did not want to upstage the announcement, confirmed that the Westland native was coming home after 20 seasons with the Dallas franchise, where he became the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history.
General manager Ken Holland would only say that he was hopeful.
St. James writes that the Red Wings offered Modano a one-year, $1.25 million deal to play around his hometown in Motown. (I can just see that horrible Mikey Motown headlines now …)
I’m not sure I agree with the author’s assessment that Modano “instantly transforms them into a team with three legitimate scoring lines” simply because I’m not completely convinced that he’s a legitimate scorer anymore. Still, if that ends up being the price, then you cannot really blame the Red Wings for taking the gamble. Make no mistake about it, though, with his name recognition and advanced age (he’s currently 40), this would be a gamble.
We’ll bring you word once/if it becomes official, but consider this a very reliable rumor at this point.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)