Aug 3, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
If reports are accurate, Mike Modano will officially announce that he’s a member of the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday. It’s not a done deal until the words leave his chipmunk-toothed mouth, but my guess is Dallas Stars fans will be doing some grief eating this morning anyway.
“Big announcement Thursday,” Modano sent in a text Monday.
Modano, 40, wouldn’t reveal his hand. But a source with knowledge of the decision, who did not want to upstage the announcement, confirmed that the Westland native was coming home after 20 seasons with the Dallas franchise, where he became the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history.
General manager Ken Holland would only say that he was hopeful.
St. James writes that the Red Wings offered Modano a one-year, $1.25 million deal to play around his hometown in Motown. (I can just see that horrible Mikey Motown headlines now …)
I’m not sure I agree with the author’s assessment that Modano “instantly transforms them into a team with three legitimate scoring lines” simply because I’m not completely convinced that he’s a legitimate scorer anymore. Still, if that ends up being the price, then you cannot really blame the Red Wings for taking the gamble. Make no mistake about it, though, with his name recognition and advanced age (he’s currently 40), this would be a gamble.
We’ll bring you word once/if it becomes official, but consider this a very reliable rumor at this point.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)