Aug 3, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Contrary to earlier reports, it appears that the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection grievance hearing will take place Wednesday in Boston rather than Tuesday. The news comes from Tom Gulitti.
The hearing to decide the grievance about Ilya Kovalchuk’s rejected contract will definitely begin Wednesday in Boston.
Kovalchuk’s mother, Luba, reportedly told Sovetsky Sport that the two-day hearing would begin Tuesday-according to Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov. But I have confirmed that the hearing will definitely begin Wednesday and be held in Boston. A ruling is expected Friday or Saturday.
Luba Kovlachuk said that her son delayed his return to Russia to attend the hearing.
Gulitti’s been the best source (in my opinion) of information on this situation, so if he says it will “definitely” happen than I’d say it’s likely true. That means that we might have to wait until the early part of the weekend for the news, but we should still go into next week with the knowledge that Kovalchuk will either be an official New Jersey Devil or the two sides would need to hammer out a new agreement.
It’s still pretty hard to believe that the Kovalchuk saga is now past the 30-day mark, but the good news is that we should see it come to an end reasonably soon. Unless, of course, the arbitrator rejects the contract and Kovalchuk inexplicably has a change of heart.
If that happens, reach for the Tylenol because this one might never end.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)