Aug 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Fluto Shinzawa, Boston Globe, reporting that Tyler Seguin will have a
base salary of $900,000 plus $2.85 million in performance bonuses
(Note: as usual, this news is still in “report” mode but it seems like a pretty reliable one at this point.)
Though they’re not out of the salary cap woods by any means just yet, it seems like things are really starting to come together for the Boston Bruins. The team decided to accept Blake Wheeler’s one-year, $2.2 million arbitration decision on Friday and now Jimmy Murphy reports that they came to terms with their first round draft pick Tyler Seguin today.
As I said before, the team is almost Wheeler’s salary over the cap right now (and that’s assuming that Seguin’s yet-to-be-announced cap hit wouldn’t be added to the mix). The good news, though, is that there is a maximum salary for rookies so the team really will only see savings (or lose some cash) if Seguin hits whatever incentives the two sides agreed upon. Financial details have not been released yet.
Some people have suggested that the Bruins should only play Seguin in nine NHL games or less so the first year of his entry level deal wouldn’t kick in until the 2011-12 season. My feeling is that the team will only do that if he’s struggling with the speed or physicality of the NHL game. If he can play at a high level, the Bruins will find a way to make it work.
We’ll definitely keep you informed as the Bruins will have some wiggling to do to get under the cap, whether Seguin makes an impact on their ceiling or not.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)