Aug 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Fluto Shinzawa, Boston Globe, reporting that Tyler Seguin will have a
base salary of $900,000 plus $2.85 million in performance bonuses
(Note: as usual, this news is still in “report” mode but it seems like a pretty reliable one at this point.)
Though they’re not out of the salary cap woods by any means just yet, it seems like things are really starting to come together for the Boston Bruins. The team decided to accept Blake Wheeler’s one-year, $2.2 million arbitration decision on Friday and now Jimmy Murphy reports that they came to terms with their first round draft pick Tyler Seguin today.
As I said before, the team is almost Wheeler’s salary over the cap right now (and that’s assuming that Seguin’s yet-to-be-announced cap hit wouldn’t be added to the mix). The good news, though, is that there is a maximum salary for rookies so the team really will only see savings (or lose some cash) if Seguin hits whatever incentives the two sides agreed upon. Financial details have not been released yet.
Some people have suggested that the Bruins should only play Seguin in nine NHL games or less so the first year of his entry level deal wouldn’t kick in until the 2011-12 season. My feeling is that the team will only do that if he’s struggling with the speed or physicality of the NHL game. If he can play at a high level, the Bruins will find a way to make it work.
We’ll definitely keep you informed as the Bruins will have some wiggling to do to get under the cap, whether Seguin makes an impact on their ceiling or not.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)