Aug 3, 2010, 10:55 PM EDT
If you’ve not kept up with your former NHL coaches, one notable coach from the past (now a member of parliament), Jacques Demers, has been battling with his health recently. In early July, he was taken into an Ottawa-area hospital for hernia surgery. What happened after that is a gruesome tale the former Canadiens/Red Wings/Blues/Lightning head coach is one he’s thankful he gets to live and tell about it because after undergoing surgery, things turned for the worse quickly.
(Please take note, the story might make you a bit queasy.)
Demers said he continued to feel stomach pain and, six days later, he noticed dark-coloured stains on his hospital gown. The doctor took one glimpse and immediately realized what had happened.
“It was all brown — all dirty (on the gown). . . The doctor reacted very quickly. He said, ‘You need to go downstairs immediately for another operation,’ ” Demers said.
“Accidentally, through human error, the doctor apparently cut a piece of plumbing — of the intestine — and it apparently spread through my body.”
With toxins flooding his body, Demers was forced to undergo a second operation to save his life.
Calls went out from the hospital to his wife, brother, and the Montreal Canadiens’ team doctor, urging them to remain near the phone.
Demers says they were told, “Jacques is between life and death.”
Demers is now on a three-month recovery break and could miss the early days of the Senate’s fall session.
Thankfully, all is well for Demers, a man who is a legend in Montreal for being the coach who last brought the Canadiens a Stanley Cup victory in 1993, a success that’s likely helped him in reaching his latest position in Canadian parliament in Ottawa. That said, I doubt I’ll be sleeping well after reading this hospital horror story. These are the sorts of stories that, while infrequent, terrify me at the most innate level.
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 6
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off