Aug 3, 2010, 10:55 PM EST
If you’ve not kept up with your former NHL coaches, one notable coach from the past (now a member of parliament), Jacques Demers, has been battling with his health recently. In early July, he was taken into an Ottawa-area hospital for hernia surgery. What happened after that is a gruesome tale the former Canadiens/Red Wings/Blues/Lightning head coach is one he’s thankful he gets to live and tell about it because after undergoing surgery, things turned for the worse quickly.
(Please take note, the story might make you a bit queasy.)
Demers said he continued to feel stomach pain and, six days later, he noticed dark-coloured stains on his hospital gown. The doctor took one glimpse and immediately realized what had happened.
“It was all brown — all dirty (on the gown). . . The doctor reacted very quickly. He said, ‘You need to go downstairs immediately for another operation,’ ” Demers said.
“Accidentally, through human error, the doctor apparently cut a piece of plumbing — of the intestine — and it apparently spread through my body.”
With toxins flooding his body, Demers was forced to undergo a second operation to save his life.
Calls went out from the hospital to his wife, brother, and the Montreal Canadiens’ team doctor, urging them to remain near the phone.
Demers says they were told, “Jacques is between life and death.”
Demers is now on a three-month recovery break and could miss the early days of the Senate’s fall session.
Thankfully, all is well for Demers, a man who is a legend in Montreal for being the coach who last brought the Canadiens a Stanley Cup victory in 1993, a success that’s likely helped him in reaching his latest position in Canadian parliament in Ottawa. That said, I doubt I’ll be sleeping well after reading this hospital horror story. These are the sorts of stories that, while infrequent, terrify me at the most innate level.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)