Aug 3, 2010, 7:21 PM EST
While the Anaheim Ducks deal with what’s turning into an ugly contract situation with restricted free agent Bobby Ryan, they’re going about their own business and putting some pressure on Ryan to get into camp. The team announced the signing of 2009 first round pick Kyle Palmieri to a three-year entry-level contract.
Palmieri is a quick, skilled winger with a deft scoring touch who spent last year playing college hockey at Notre Dame. Palmieri was also a member of the gold medal-winning team at the 2010 World Junior Championships. At Notre Dame last year, Palmieri, a freshman, had nine goals and eight assists on a team that struggled mightily to score goals all year. Palmieri was also dealing with a team that was loaded with upperclassmen. He scored the same number of points as fellow freshman and 2010 first round pick of the Red Wings, Riley Sheahan.
At 5’10” 191, Palmieri will likely challenge for a job with the Ducks right away and with Bobby Ryan’s contract situation continuing to hang in the air, Palmieri’s shot to make it with the team gets even better. The Ducks roster for wingers next year looks a bit scary with or without Ryan, so taking a shot with Palmieri can’t hurt. At the very least, he ends up being a very high profile player at Anaheim’s AHL team in Syracuse, but don’t bank on that happening right away.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)