Aug 3, 2010, 4:35 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks added a small piece today, signing veteran plugger Jamal Mayers to a one-year deal reportedly worth $600K. I found about this via That’ll Cheech You from Fear the Fin, who adds a little bit more about Mayers here.
Mayers split time with the Flames and Maple Leafs last season. He’s billed as a big bodied energy winger who skates well and can kill penalties, but he’s 35 and screams “reclamation project” a-la Scott Nichol last year.
Don’t expect more than fourth line minutes.
Mayers “peaked” in 2007-08 with the St. Louis Blues, when he put up 27 points. (Those seasons in St. Louis represented the highest scoring outputs of his modest career.)
Last year, he put together 14 points and 131 PIM during the 2009-10 season. He’s moderately “big bodied” at 6-1, 217 lbs.
Since I don’t have much more else to add about Mayers (he’s usually in the 80’s or high-70’s in video games!), here are his “flaws” according to his SBNation scouting report.
Doesn’t have much of an offensive arsenal. Will take a few bad penalties on occasion. Plays out of control at times.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)