Aug 3, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks added a small piece today, signing veteran plugger Jamal Mayers to a one-year deal reportedly worth $600K. I found about this via That’ll Cheech You from Fear the Fin, who adds a little bit more about Mayers here.
Mayers split time with the Flames and Maple Leafs last season. He’s billed as a big bodied energy winger who skates well and can kill penalties, but he’s 35 and screams “reclamation project” a-la Scott Nichol last year.
Don’t expect more than fourth line minutes.
Mayers “peaked” in 2007-08 with the St. Louis Blues, when he put up 27 points. (Those seasons in St. Louis represented the highest scoring outputs of his modest career.)
Last year, he put together 14 points and 131 PIM during the 2009-10 season. He’s moderately “big bodied” at 6-1, 217 lbs.
Since I don’t have much more else to add about Mayers (he’s usually in the 80′s or high-70′s in video games!), here are his “flaws” according to his SBNation scouting report.
Doesn’t have much of an offensive arsenal. Will take a few bad penalties on occasion. Plays out of control at times.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)