Aug 3, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks added a small piece today, signing veteran plugger Jamal Mayers to a one-year deal reportedly worth $600K. I found about this via That’ll Cheech You from Fear the Fin, who adds a little bit more about Mayers here.
Mayers split time with the Flames and Maple Leafs last season. He’s billed as a big bodied energy winger who skates well and can kill penalties, but he’s 35 and screams “reclamation project” a-la Scott Nichol last year.
Don’t expect more than fourth line minutes.
Mayers “peaked” in 2007-08 with the St. Louis Blues, when he put up 27 points. (Those seasons in St. Louis represented the highest scoring outputs of his modest career.)
Last year, he put together 14 points and 131 PIM during the 2009-10 season. He’s moderately “big bodied” at 6-1, 217 lbs.
Since I don’t have much more else to add about Mayers (he’s usually in the 80’s or high-70’s in video games!), here are his “flaws” according to his SBNation scouting report.
Doesn’t have much of an offensive arsenal. Will take a few bad penalties on occasion. Plays out of control at times.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8