Aug 3, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks added a small piece today, signing veteran plugger Jamal Mayers to a one-year deal reportedly worth $600K. I found about this via That’ll Cheech You from Fear the Fin, who adds a little bit more about Mayers here.
Mayers split time with the Flames and Maple Leafs last season. He’s billed as a big bodied energy winger who skates well and can kill penalties, but he’s 35 and screams “reclamation project” a-la Scott Nichol last year.
Don’t expect more than fourth line minutes.
Mayers “peaked” in 2007-08 with the St. Louis Blues, when he put up 27 points. (Those seasons in St. Louis represented the highest scoring outputs of his modest career.)
Last year, he put together 14 points and 131 PIM during the 2009-10 season. He’s moderately “big bodied” at 6-1, 217 lbs.
Since I don’t have much more else to add about Mayers (he’s usually in the 80’s or high-70’s in video games!), here are his “flaws” according to his SBNation scouting report.
Doesn’t have much of an offensive arsenal. Will take a few bad penalties on occasion. Plays out of control at times.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5