Aug 3, 2010, 4:35 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks added a small piece today, signing veteran plugger Jamal Mayers to a one-year deal reportedly worth $600K. I found about this via That’ll Cheech You from Fear the Fin, who adds a little bit more about Mayers here.
Mayers split time with the Flames and Maple Leafs last season. He’s billed as a big bodied energy winger who skates well and can kill penalties, but he’s 35 and screams “reclamation project” a-la Scott Nichol last year.
Don’t expect more than fourth line minutes.
Mayers “peaked” in 2007-08 with the St. Louis Blues, when he put up 27 points. (Those seasons in St. Louis represented the highest scoring outputs of his modest career.)
Last year, he put together 14 points and 131 PIM during the 2009-10 season. He’s moderately “big bodied” at 6-1, 217 lbs.
Since I don’t have much more else to add about Mayers (he’s usually in the 80’s or high-70’s in video games!), here are his “flaws” according to his SBNation scouting report.
Doesn’t have much of an offensive arsenal. Will take a few bad penalties on occasion. Plays out of control at times.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4