Aug 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
The Florida Panthers are expected to sign defenseman Mike Weaver, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The deal would be for two years, $1.8 million and an annual salary cap hit of 900K.
On paper, there really isn’t much to Weaver. He’s a small (listed at 5-9, 188 lbs.) defenseman who puts up only modest-at-best offense (he had 10 points in 2009-10 season). He did average close to 17 minutes per game in his two seasons with the St. Louis Blues, though.
Mike Weaver, a key in the Blues having No. 1 penalty kill unit in NHL last season, expected 2 compete for third pairing spot with panthers
It will be a big crowd on the Panthers blueline next season. The team already has seven defensemen listed on their starting roster according to CapGeek.com, although a few of those deals could probably be transitioned to their AHL affiliate.
While this signing doesn’t fit in with former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon’s moves to either bring in size or former Blackhawks, Tallon probably got a good look at Weaver since he was in the Central division the last two seasons. It might take a while, but Tallon’s makeover of the Panthers falls in life with the other dramatic changes going on in the once-stale Southeast division.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 16
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)