Aug 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are expected to sign defenseman Mike Weaver, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The deal would be for two years, $1.8 million and an annual salary cap hit of 900K.
On paper, there really isn’t much to Weaver. He’s a small (listed at 5-9, 188 lbs.) defenseman who puts up only modest-at-best offense (he had 10 points in 2009-10 season). He did average close to 17 minutes per game in his two seasons with the St. Louis Blues, though.
Mike Weaver, a key in the Blues having No. 1 penalty kill unit in NHL last season, expected 2 compete for third pairing spot with panthers
It will be a big crowd on the Panthers blueline next season. The team already has seven defensemen listed on their starting roster according to CapGeek.com, although a few of those deals could probably be transitioned to their AHL affiliate.
While this signing doesn’t fit in with former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon’s moves to either bring in size or former Blackhawks, Tallon probably got a good look at Weaver since he was in the Central division the last two seasons. It might take a while, but Tallon’s makeover of the Panthers falls in life with the other dramatic changes going on in the once-stale Southeast division.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 14
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 47
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 84
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games