Aug 2, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
Of the most prominent free agents waiting for a contract, Willie Mitchell’s situation is probably the most “in his hands.” Even at a slightly advanced age, the rugged shutdown defenseman would certainly receive more attention if concussion issues didn’t bring his health into serious question.
There might be good news on that front, though. Sean Zanberg of Nucks Misconduct passes along a note from Dan Murphy that the (possibly former?) Vancouver Canucks D-man is progressing nicely in the rehab process.
Dan Murphy tweeted a little while ago that Willie Mitchell has been training and skating for 18 days and is symptom-free of his nasty concussion. Murphy says that Mitchell has narrowed his choice destination from 12 interested teams down to 4. Vancouver is most likely in the mix. I am glad for Mitchell. For the Canucks to retain his services though, they are going to have to move more than just a Kevin Bieksa. On top of that, Mike Gillis still needs to shore up the Canucks’ bottom 6.
As Zanberg wrote, the Canucks are unlikely to bring Mitchell back since they already added Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard. (I also agree that a healthy Mitchell might be a better option than Ballard, but that’s not really the most relevant discussion at this point.) Even with an ailing Sami Salo opening up some room, it’s doubtful that Mitchell will fit in their cap scenario.
If he’s indeed healthy, Mitchell could be useful for just about any NHL team with the necessary cap space. Want to read more about the pluses and minuses of bringing him in? Click here.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)