Aug 2, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
Of the most prominent free agents waiting for a contract, Willie Mitchell’s situation is probably the most “in his hands.” Even at a slightly advanced age, the rugged shutdown defenseman would certainly receive more attention if concussion issues didn’t bring his health into serious question.
There might be good news on that front, though. Sean Zanberg of Nucks Misconduct passes along a note from Dan Murphy that the (possibly former?) Vancouver Canucks D-man is progressing nicely in the rehab process.
Dan Murphy tweeted a little while ago that Willie Mitchell has been training and skating for 18 days and is symptom-free of his nasty concussion. Murphy says that Mitchell has narrowed his choice destination from 12 interested teams down to 4. Vancouver is most likely in the mix. I am glad for Mitchell. For the Canucks to retain his services though, they are going to have to move more than just a Kevin Bieksa. On top of that, Mike Gillis still needs to shore up the Canucks’ bottom 6.
As Zanberg wrote, the Canucks are unlikely to bring Mitchell back since they already added Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard. (I also agree that a healthy Mitchell might be a better option than Ballard, but that’s not really the most relevant discussion at this point.) Even with an ailing Sami Salo opening up some room, it’s doubtful that Mitchell will fit in their cap scenario.
If he’s indeed healthy, Mitchell could be useful for just about any NHL team with the necessary cap space. Want to read more about the pluses and minuses of bringing him in? Click here.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11