Aug 2, 2010, 12:05 AM EDT
A few moments ago, we shared a report that the Chicago Blackhawks might have signed Marty Turco to a one-year, $1.75 million deal. To add some confusion to the mix, Dave Pagnotta of the Fourth Period (the person who shared WGN’s original report on Twitter) says that it might not happen after all.
Being told the WGN report is inaccurate.
This situation shows how important it is to note the difference between an official signing and a rumored signing. Here at PHT, we’ll make sure to note something is a report up front. (That’s why we put “Report:” in just about every headline).
Now, there’s no guarantee that the Chicago Blackhawks won’t sign Marty Turco, either. It’s all conjecture at this point, so even when a reliable source releases a report it’s important to note that you can only truly know something happened when a team announces it as such.
Stay tuned for more on this situation, as we should know what direction the Chicago Blackhawks will go in regarding Antti Niemi (and maybe Turco) sometime Monday.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)