Aug 2, 2010, 11:50 PM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Rangers acquire Todd White from Atlanta – From a fan base that really disliked him to a larger one that probably won’t like him.
Blackhawks walk away from Niemi’s arbitration award, sign Marty Turco – As we discussed Sunday night, the Blackhawks made a big decision to roll the dice with veteran goalie Turco over the more expensive Niemi.
Blues re-sign defenseman Erik Johnson – Johnson for $2.6 million per year? That’s a great bargain for a former No. 1 overall draft pick who may very well make good on his potential over his next two seasons.
Islanders buy out Brendan Witt’s contract – I already made a car joke about him last weekend, so I’m out of material on this one.
Sabres waive Tim Kennedy, plan to buy him out – It seemed like a semi-reasonable deal for Kennedy – at least compared to some of the other crazy deals given to marginal players – but the Sabres vehemently disagree.
Obama trash talks Ted Leonsis – Strange.
What’s next for Niemi? It won’t be the Flyers – Philadelphia doesn’t believe in the saying “If you can’t beat them, ask them to join you after they become unrestricted free agents.”
Ducks sign Andy Sutton for two years – While he won’t erase the memory of Scott Niedermayer & Co., he’ll help replace James Wisniewski if nothing else.
Kovalchuk hearing might happen Tuesday – Although apparently that’s not a sure thing either. My head hurts.
Forsberg feels good enough to play in Sweden … what about the NHL? – It’s unlikely, but admit it, Forsberg returning would be kind of cool.
Sabres sign Shaone Morrisonn – His name is humorously difficult to spell, I must say.
Glen Metropolit leaves NHL for Swiss league – Metropolit’s name lends itself to quite a few puns. It’s your call if you think they’re any good, but they’re out there.
Willie Mitchell says he’s “symptom-free” after battling concussion issues – The rugged defenseman would/should be in demand if he’s truly healthy.
Forbes lists four NHL teams on “Best American Sports Fans” list – Although they included the decidedly un-American Montreal Canadiens on the list. Whoops.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)