Aug 2, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
With trade rumors cropping up as early as 2009, there were some Boston Bruins fans with dreams of Ilya Kovalchuk skating for the B’s. Well, that won’t quite come true, but if recent reports are correct his future (to some extent) will indeed be decided in Beantown.
The hearing to honor or invalidate Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million contract with the New Jersey Devils will reportedly begin on Tuesday in Boston, if reports are correct. Tom Gulitti passes along the rumor from Dmitri Chesnokov via Russian newspaper Sovetsky Sport. All three of those sources range from reliable to extremely reliable, so this rumor has plenty of traction.
What that means is that we might get a ruling before the weekend. An arbitrator typically receives a 48-hour window to make a decision (though they can ask for an extension on occasion) – whether it is regarding a player’s salary or the validity of a grievance such as the one filed by Kovalchuk and the NHLPA.
In case you didn’t already know, the arbitrator will either side with the Kovalchuk and make his contract instantly official or side with the league and turn Kovalchuk into an unrestricted free agent again. If that latter happens, the NHL might fine both Kovalchuk and Devils for their tomfoolery. My guess is that Kovalchuk will be a Devils forward either way, but you never know with a situation as convoluted as this has become.
Naturally, we’ll be around every day to update you regarding the hearing and other free agent news from around the league.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18