Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have been looking for a little bit of help at the center position. With Chris Drury being essentially their one true top center, and he’s even been relegated to second or third line duty, getting another center with some offensive touch has been a bit of a priority for the Rangers. Consider that search over with now as the Rangers have obtained veteran Todd White from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller.
White is a solid centerman with some offensive touch to his game. He struggled a bit with the Thrashers last season, scoring just seven goals and getting 19 assists in an injury-plagued season, playing just 65 games. When he’s healthy and his game is on, however, he’s a 20-goal, 30-assist player. White will have the shot to instantly boost his own offensive numbers greatly by centering Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. That wouldn’t be a bad way for the former Clarkson University standout to be welcomed to New York City.
As for what the Thrashers got in return, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that they’ve already placed Donald Brashear on waivers with the intent of buying him out of the final year of his contract worth $1.4 million. Brashear spent the better part of last season in Hartford of the AHL. Rissmiller spent last year in the AHL with both Hartford and Grand Rapids and will have the opportunity to crack the Thrashers roster in training camp.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)