Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have been looking for a little bit of help at the center position. With Chris Drury being essentially their one true top center, and he’s even been relegated to second or third line duty, getting another center with some offensive touch has been a bit of a priority for the Rangers. Consider that search over with now as the Rangers have obtained veteran Todd White from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller.
White is a solid centerman with some offensive touch to his game. He struggled a bit with the Thrashers last season, scoring just seven goals and getting 19 assists in an injury-plagued season, playing just 65 games. When he’s healthy and his game is on, however, he’s a 20-goal, 30-assist player. White will have the shot to instantly boost his own offensive numbers greatly by centering Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. That wouldn’t be a bad way for the former Clarkson University standout to be welcomed to New York City.
As for what the Thrashers got in return, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that they’ve already placed Donald Brashear on waivers with the intent of buying him out of the final year of his contract worth $1.4 million. Brashear spent the better part of last season in Hartford of the AHL. Rissmiller spent last year in the AHL with both Hartford and Grand Rapids and will have the opportunity to crack the Thrashers roster in training camp.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)