Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have been looking for a little bit of help at the center position. With Chris Drury being essentially their one true top center, and he’s even been relegated to second or third line duty, getting another center with some offensive touch has been a bit of a priority for the Rangers. Consider that search over with now as the Rangers have obtained veteran Todd White from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller.
White is a solid centerman with some offensive touch to his game. He struggled a bit with the Thrashers last season, scoring just seven goals and getting 19 assists in an injury-plagued season, playing just 65 games. When he’s healthy and his game is on, however, he’s a 20-goal, 30-assist player. White will have the shot to instantly boost his own offensive numbers greatly by centering Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. That wouldn’t be a bad way for the former Clarkson University standout to be welcomed to New York City.
As for what the Thrashers got in return, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that they’ve already placed Donald Brashear on waivers with the intent of buying him out of the final year of his contract worth $1.4 million. Brashear spent the better part of last season in Hartford of the AHL. Rissmiller spent last year in the AHL with both Hartford and Grand Rapids and will have the opportunity to crack the Thrashers roster in training camp.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)