Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 AM EST
The New York Rangers have been looking for a little bit of help at the center position. With Chris Drury being essentially their one true top center, and he’s even been relegated to second or third line duty, getting another center with some offensive touch has been a bit of a priority for the Rangers. Consider that search over with now as the Rangers have obtained veteran Todd White from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller.
White is a solid centerman with some offensive touch to his game. He struggled a bit with the Thrashers last season, scoring just seven goals and getting 19 assists in an injury-plagued season, playing just 65 games. When he’s healthy and his game is on, however, he’s a 20-goal, 30-assist player. White will have the shot to instantly boost his own offensive numbers greatly by centering Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. That wouldn’t be a bad way for the former Clarkson University standout to be welcomed to New York City.
As for what the Thrashers got in return, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that they’ve already placed Donald Brashear on waivers with the intent of buying him out of the final year of his contract worth $1.4 million. Brashear spent the better part of last season in Hartford of the AHL. Rissmiller spent last year in the AHL with both Hartford and Grand Rapids and will have the opportunity to crack the Thrashers roster in training camp.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)