Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have been looking for a little bit of help at the center position. With Chris Drury being essentially their one true top center, and he’s even been relegated to second or third line duty, getting another center with some offensive touch has been a bit of a priority for the Rangers. Consider that search over with now as the Rangers have obtained veteran Todd White from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller.
White is a solid centerman with some offensive touch to his game. He struggled a bit with the Thrashers last season, scoring just seven goals and getting 19 assists in an injury-plagued season, playing just 65 games. When he’s healthy and his game is on, however, he’s a 20-goal, 30-assist player. White will have the shot to instantly boost his own offensive numbers greatly by centering Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov. That wouldn’t be a bad way for the former Clarkson University standout to be welcomed to New York City.
As for what the Thrashers got in return, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that they’ve already placed Donald Brashear on waivers with the intent of buying him out of the final year of his contract worth $1.4 million. Brashear spent the better part of last season in Hartford of the AHL. Rissmiller spent last year in the AHL with both Hartford and Grand Rapids and will have the opportunity to crack the Thrashers roster in training camp.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)