Aug 2, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
I know this isn’t necessarily a features blog by any means, but when the President of the United States is getting in on some executive level smack talk, it’s pretty tough to avoid. President Barack Obama recently attended a WNBA Washington Mystics game with Captials/Wizards/Mystics owner Ted Leonsis and you had to figure the fact that the President has yet to attend a Capitals game came up in conversation.
After all the President has attended numerous other sporting events in D.C. including a Wizards game, a Nationals game, college basketball games and now a Mystics game, Leonsis had to wonder when Washington, D.C.’s new favorite team was going to get a visit by the Commander-In-Chief. Turns out, President Obama did have designs on going to a game last season as Leonsis shares with the world.
Here is what the President of the United States said to me last night about attending a Caps game.
“Ted – I will come to a Caps game; I intended to come to a playoff game last season; and then I looked and you were done in the first round; after a 3 to 1 lead – sorry about that…”.
I said; ” Thank you sir for reminding me of that…”.
All right Caps, now it’s up to you to do your duty as an American sports franchise and just get out of the first round of the playoffs next year to make sure the President can make it to a game. After all, the Caps are the only team that can be counted on to win in Washington most of the time now that the Redskins stink, the Wizards haven’t found an identity and the Nationals are the Montreal Expos in different clothing.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)