Aug 2, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
I know this isn’t necessarily a features blog by any means, but when the President of the United States is getting in on some executive level smack talk, it’s pretty tough to avoid. President Barack Obama recently attended a WNBA Washington Mystics game with Captials/Wizards/Mystics owner Ted Leonsis and you had to figure the fact that the President has yet to attend a Capitals game came up in conversation.
After all the President has attended numerous other sporting events in D.C. including a Wizards game, a Nationals game, college basketball games and now a Mystics game, Leonsis had to wonder when Washington, D.C.’s new favorite team was going to get a visit by the Commander-In-Chief. Turns out, President Obama did have designs on going to a game last season as Leonsis shares with the world.
Here is what the President of the United States said to me last night about attending a Caps game.
“Ted – I will come to a Caps game; I intended to come to a playoff game last season; and then I looked and you were done in the first round; after a 3 to 1 lead – sorry about that…”.
I said; ” Thank you sir for reminding me of that…”.
All right Caps, now it’s up to you to do your duty as an American sports franchise and just get out of the first round of the playoffs next year to make sure the President can make it to a game. After all, the Caps are the only team that can be counted on to win in Washington most of the time now that the Redskins stink, the Wizards haven’t found an identity and the Nationals are the Montreal Expos in different clothing.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63