Aug 2, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
I know this isn’t necessarily a features blog by any means, but when the President of the United States is getting in on some executive level smack talk, it’s pretty tough to avoid. President Barack Obama recently attended a WNBA Washington Mystics game with Captials/Wizards/Mystics owner Ted Leonsis and you had to figure the fact that the President has yet to attend a Capitals game came up in conversation.
After all the President has attended numerous other sporting events in D.C. including a Wizards game, a Nationals game, college basketball games and now a Mystics game, Leonsis had to wonder when Washington, D.C.’s new favorite team was going to get a visit by the Commander-In-Chief. Turns out, President Obama did have designs on going to a game last season as Leonsis shares with the world.
Here is what the President of the United States said to me last night about attending a Caps game.
“Ted – I will come to a Caps game; I intended to come to a playoff game last season; and then I looked and you were done in the first round; after a 3 to 1 lead – sorry about that…”.
I said; ” Thank you sir for reminding me of that…”.
All right Caps, now it’s up to you to do your duty as an American sports franchise and just get out of the first round of the playoffs next year to make sure the President can make it to a game. After all, the Caps are the only team that can be counted on to win in Washington most of the time now that the Redskins stink, the Wizards haven’t found an identity and the Nationals are the Montreal Expos in different clothing.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)