Aug 2, 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Last week we told you about how the Islanders put Brendan Witt on unconditional waivers and now the team has made it official, declaring they were buying out Witt’s contract. Witt was due to make $2.5 million next season, the final year of a two-year, $6 million deal. According to Cap Geek, the buy out will cost the Islanders $1.33 million this year and $833,333 next year.
Money isn’t a worry for the Islanders as they’re well below the salary floor, so eating a contract doesn’t affect them. As for Witt and where he could end up next, both Los Angeles and Chicago are in the market for defensive help, perhaps they might take a strong look at Witt to see if he can provide what they’re looking for.
Los Angeles in particular is in need of stay-at-home defensive help and they don’t exactly fear aging tough guys, they did employ Sean O’Donnell the last two seasons. One huge catch there is that O’Donnell was always a plus player on the plus/minus scale. Brendan Witt’s last two seasons in plus/minus: -18 and -34. Granted those numbers came on sub-par Islanders teams, the -34 came on the team that ended earning the #1 pick over all in 2009, but Witt’s physical presence might come in handy on a back line that will be missing Matt Greene for a little while.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)