Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Just the other day, I was discussing the fact that the name “Sean” might have the most absurd range of spellings of any name in the world. I’m sure I’ll be corrected about this, but let there be no doubt that the list of “interpretations” is long. While the most common alternatives include Shaun and Shawn, sports have shown us many different ways to spell the name from Chone to Shawon to Shonn and so on.
Hockey has its own options for the name, too, as you’ll see with Capitals-turned-Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (seriously, is the guy trying to kill copy editors? That’s just a maliciously spelled name. I shall refer to him as Shaone “Typo” Morrisonn from now on.) The Buffalo Sabres announced that they signed him to a deal, although salary and term details aren’t available just yet.
The team leaned heavily on all-world goalie Ryan Miller last season and their already-shaky defense lost a key piece when Toni Lydman signed with Anaheim this summer. With all due respect to Tyler Myers, a beyond-his-years and tall-as-a-tree* defenseman, the team could use some help on the blueline. While Morrissonn won’t heal all their defensive wounds, he can at least act as a band-aid.
* I’m exaggerating there.
So while his name isn’t easy spell, it’s not very difficult to commend Buffalo for a solid but unspectacular move. Of course, much of those good feelings might dissolve if they overpaid him, but judging by their distaste for a tiny deal like Tim Kennedy’s, my guess is that they didn’t break the bank.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)