Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Just the other day, I was discussing the fact that the name “Sean” might have the most absurd range of spellings of any name in the world. I’m sure I’ll be corrected about this, but let there be no doubt that the list of “interpretations” is long. While the most common alternatives include Shaun and Shawn, sports have shown us many different ways to spell the name from Chone to Shawon to Shonn and so on.
Hockey has its own options for the name, too, as you’ll see with Capitals-turned-Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (seriously, is the guy trying to kill copy editors? That’s just a maliciously spelled name. I shall refer to him as Shaone “Typo” Morrisonn from now on.) The Buffalo Sabres announced that they signed him to a deal, although salary and term details aren’t available just yet.
The team leaned heavily on all-world goalie Ryan Miller last season and their already-shaky defense lost a key piece when Toni Lydman signed with Anaheim this summer. With all due respect to Tyler Myers, a beyond-his-years and tall-as-a-tree* defenseman, the team could use some help on the blueline. While Morrissonn won’t heal all their defensive wounds, he can at least act as a band-aid.
* I’m exaggerating there.
So while his name isn’t easy spell, it’s not very difficult to commend Buffalo for a solid but unspectacular move. Of course, much of those good feelings might dissolve if they overpaid him, but judging by their distaste for a tiny deal like Tim Kennedy’s, my guess is that they didn’t break the bank.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)