Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Just the other day, I was discussing the fact that the name “Sean” might have the most absurd range of spellings of any name in the world. I’m sure I’ll be corrected about this, but let there be no doubt that the list of “interpretations” is long. While the most common alternatives include Shaun and Shawn, sports have shown us many different ways to spell the name from Chone to Shawon to Shonn and so on.
Hockey has its own options for the name, too, as you’ll see with Capitals-turned-Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (seriously, is the guy trying to kill copy editors? That’s just a maliciously spelled name. I shall refer to him as Shaone “Typo” Morrisonn from now on.) The Buffalo Sabres announced that they signed him to a deal, although salary and term details aren’t available just yet.
The team leaned heavily on all-world goalie Ryan Miller last season and their already-shaky defense lost a key piece when Toni Lydman signed with Anaheim this summer. With all due respect to Tyler Myers, a beyond-his-years and tall-as-a-tree* defenseman, the team could use some help on the blueline. While Morrissonn won’t heal all their defensive wounds, he can at least act as a band-aid.
* I’m exaggerating there.
So while his name isn’t easy spell, it’s not very difficult to commend Buffalo for a solid but unspectacular move. Of course, much of those good feelings might dissolve if they overpaid him, but judging by their distaste for a tiny deal like Tim Kennedy’s, my guess is that they didn’t break the bank.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)