Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Just the other day, I was discussing the fact that the name “Sean” might have the most absurd range of spellings of any name in the world. I’m sure I’ll be corrected about this, but let there be no doubt that the list of “interpretations” is long. While the most common alternatives include Shaun and Shawn, sports have shown us many different ways to spell the name from Chone to Shawon to Shonn and so on.
Hockey has its own options for the name, too, as you’ll see with Capitals-turned-Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (seriously, is the guy trying to kill copy editors? That’s just a maliciously spelled name. I shall refer to him as Shaone “Typo” Morrisonn from now on.) The Buffalo Sabres announced that they signed him to a deal, although salary and term details aren’t available just yet.
The team leaned heavily on all-world goalie Ryan Miller last season and their already-shaky defense lost a key piece when Toni Lydman signed with Anaheim this summer. With all due respect to Tyler Myers, a beyond-his-years and tall-as-a-tree* defenseman, the team could use some help on the blueline. While Morrissonn won’t heal all their defensive wounds, he can at least act as a band-aid.
* I’m exaggerating there.
So while his name isn’t easy spell, it’s not very difficult to commend Buffalo for a solid but unspectacular move. Of course, much of those good feelings might dissolve if they overpaid him, but judging by their distaste for a tiny deal like Tim Kennedy’s, my guess is that they didn’t break the bank.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)