Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
Just the other day, I was discussing the fact that the name “Sean” might have the most absurd range of spellings of any name in the world. I’m sure I’ll be corrected about this, but let there be no doubt that the list of “interpretations” is long. While the most common alternatives include Shaun and Shawn, sports have shown us many different ways to spell the name from Chone to Shawon to Shonn and so on.
Hockey has its own options for the name, too, as you’ll see with Capitals-turned-Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (seriously, is the guy trying to kill copy editors? That’s just a maliciously spelled name. I shall refer to him as Shaone “Typo” Morrisonn from now on.) The Buffalo Sabres announced that they signed him to a deal, although salary and term details aren’t available just yet.
The team leaned heavily on all-world goalie Ryan Miller last season and their already-shaky defense lost a key piece when Toni Lydman signed with Anaheim this summer. With all due respect to Tyler Myers, a beyond-his-years and tall-as-a-tree* defenseman, the team could use some help on the blueline. While Morrissonn won’t heal all their defensive wounds, he can at least act as a band-aid.
* I’m exaggerating there.
So while his name isn’t easy spell, it’s not very difficult to commend Buffalo for a solid but unspectacular move. Of course, much of those good feelings might dissolve if they overpaid him, but judging by their distaste for a tiny deal like Tim Kennedy’s, my guess is that they didn’t break the bank.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)