Aug 2, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
After the Anaheim Ducks traded James Wisniewski to the New York Islanders last week, a lot of questions were stirred up about the lack of physicality on the Ducks blue line for next year. Consider those questions answered today with the announcement from the Ducks that they’ve signed defenseman, and noted questioner of experts, Andy Sutton to a two-year contract. Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register chips in with the details.
Sutton’s total deal is worth $4.25 million. He will make $2 million this season and $2.25 million in 2011-12. The Ducks have confirmed the signing and their salary cap hit will be $2,125,000.
Obviously the monetary difference on Sutton’s deal and what they settled on with Wisniewski are kind of a big deal. Wisniewski signed for $3.25 million and Sutton will be making a million dollars more than that over two years rather than the one year Wisniewski signed for. Sutton provides a dose of physicality and better experience for a blue line corps that desperately needed it. Toni Lydman and Lubomir Visnovsky don’t exactly strike fear into opposing forwards from a physical standpoint. The snarl the Ducks lose in Wisniewski is reintroduced with Sutton and he’ll help protect everyone on the ice. Just don’t make the mistake of telling him something as if you’re expert.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)