Aug 2, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
After the Anaheim Ducks traded James Wisniewski to the New York Islanders last week, a lot of questions were stirred up about the lack of physicality on the Ducks blue line for next year. Consider those questions answered today with the announcement from the Ducks that they’ve signed defenseman, and noted questioner of experts, Andy Sutton to a two-year contract. Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register chips in with the details.
Sutton’s total deal is worth $4.25 million. He will make $2 million this season and $2.25 million in 2011-12. The Ducks have confirmed the signing and their salary cap hit will be $2,125,000.
Obviously the monetary difference on Sutton’s deal and what they settled on with Wisniewski are kind of a big deal. Wisniewski signed for $3.25 million and Sutton will be making a million dollars more than that over two years rather than the one year Wisniewski signed for. Sutton provides a dose of physicality and better experience for a blue line corps that desperately needed it. Toni Lydman and Lubomir Visnovsky don’t exactly strike fear into opposing forwards from a physical standpoint. The snarl the Ducks lose in Wisniewski is reintroduced with Sutton and he’ll help protect everyone on the ice. Just don’t make the mistake of telling him something as if you’re expert.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 0
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 17
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 47
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)