Aug 2, 2010, 11:51 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues have gotten their most important player back in the fold signing restricted free agent defenseman Erik Johnson to a two-year deal worth $5.2 million. Johnson was the number one overall pick in the 2006 NHL draft and lynchpin along the blue line. In two seasons, Johnson has 15 goals and 57 assists. He missed all of the 2008-2009 season with a knee injury.
What’s a bit interesting about the deal is that the cap hit is so friendly ($2.6 million) and that it’s just for two years. Johnson is 22 years-old so he’ll be a restricted free agent again at the end of this deal, but why not sign him to a longer contract? He’s a very good defenseman, he’s a career Blue for the time being and the team really likes him. Oh, right, there’s that whole possible labor problem coming in two years.
I’m not saying that that was a factor here for either side, but it works out nicely for the Blues that Johnson would still be an RFA when this deal runs out so they don’t run the risk of losing him when the contract ends. That way if there is a labor stoppage of any kind, they also don’t have to worry about the player getting disgruntled over losing money on a contract that extends past that possible disruption year. It’s nice having storm clouds looming on the horizon.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)