Aug 2, 2010, 11:51 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have gotten their most important player back in the fold signing restricted free agent defenseman Erik Johnson to a two-year deal worth $5.2 million. Johnson was the number one overall pick in the 2006 NHL draft and lynchpin along the blue line. In two seasons, Johnson has 15 goals and 57 assists. He missed all of the 2008-2009 season with a knee injury.
What’s a bit interesting about the deal is that the cap hit is so friendly ($2.6 million) and that it’s just for two years. Johnson is 22 years-old so he’ll be a restricted free agent again at the end of this deal, but why not sign him to a longer contract? He’s a very good defenseman, he’s a career Blue for the time being and the team really likes him. Oh, right, there’s that whole possible labor problem coming in two years.
I’m not saying that that was a factor here for either side, but it works out nicely for the Blues that Johnson would still be an RFA when this deal runs out so they don’t run the risk of losing him when the contract ends. That way if there is a labor stoppage of any kind, they also don’t have to worry about the player getting disgruntled over losing money on a contract that extends past that possible disruption year. It’s nice having storm clouds looming on the horizon.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)