Aug 1, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Marty Turco’s first summer in free agency hasn’t gone quite the way he was hoping it would. The free agent market for goaltenders dried up, teams are putting more faith in goalies who won’t break the bank and jobs that were thought to be around didn’t materialize.
Of the handful of possible destinations Turco may have dreamed up, one that seemed more than possible was Philadelphia. The Flyers sure made enough overtures to Marty Turco, including sending him an offer before free agency began on July 1 for three years $6 million. As it turns out, that would be the best offer Turco has seen all summer and one that maybe he’s a bit bummed out he didn’t accept as Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly found out.
All along, various NHL sources have said that Marty Turco would have liked to have become a Flyer this summer.
In late June, Turco, a free agent, told ESPN.com that he had turned down a three-year, $6 million contract offer from the Flyers, who denied the offer though they were given permission by the Dallas Stars to contact him in advance of free agency.
“We would have loved to go to the Flyers, but it’s not happening,” Turco texted CSNPhilly.com late Saturday from Scotland.
Buckle in Flyers fans because that means Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher is your goaltending tandem whether you like it or not. Then again, it wouldn’t be a Flyers season without being completely terrified of what your goalies are going to do anyhow. As for what’s next for Marty Turco, his agent Kurt Overhardt said that he will play in the NHL this year and could be signed within the next week and you can’t help but wonder how much that’s got to do with what Chicago decides to do with Antti Niemi who won a $2.75 million award in arbitration yesterday.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)