Aug 1, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Marty Turco’s first summer in free agency hasn’t gone quite the way he was hoping it would. The free agent market for goaltenders dried up, teams are putting more faith in goalies who won’t break the bank and jobs that were thought to be around didn’t materialize.
Of the handful of possible destinations Turco may have dreamed up, one that seemed more than possible was Philadelphia. The Flyers sure made enough overtures to Marty Turco, including sending him an offer before free agency began on July 1 for three years $6 million. As it turns out, that would be the best offer Turco has seen all summer and one that maybe he’s a bit bummed out he didn’t accept as Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly found out.
All along, various NHL sources have said that Marty Turco would have liked to have become a Flyer this summer.
In late June, Turco, a free agent, told ESPN.com that he had turned down a three-year, $6 million contract offer from the Flyers, who denied the offer though they were given permission by the Dallas Stars to contact him in advance of free agency.
“We would have loved to go to the Flyers, but it’s not happening,” Turco texted CSNPhilly.com late Saturday from Scotland.
Buckle in Flyers fans because that means Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher is your goaltending tandem whether you like it or not. Then again, it wouldn’t be a Flyers season without being completely terrified of what your goalies are going to do anyhow. As for what’s next for Marty Turco, his agent Kurt Overhardt said that he will play in the NHL this year and could be signed within the next week and you can’t help but wonder how much that’s got to do with what Chicago decides to do with Antti Niemi who won a $2.75 million award in arbitration yesterday.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)