Aug 1, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Marty Turco’s first summer in free agency hasn’t gone quite the way he was hoping it would. The free agent market for goaltenders dried up, teams are putting more faith in goalies who won’t break the bank and jobs that were thought to be around didn’t materialize.
Of the handful of possible destinations Turco may have dreamed up, one that seemed more than possible was Philadelphia. The Flyers sure made enough overtures to Marty Turco, including sending him an offer before free agency began on July 1 for three years $6 million. As it turns out, that would be the best offer Turco has seen all summer and one that maybe he’s a bit bummed out he didn’t accept as Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly found out.
All along, various NHL sources have said that Marty Turco would have liked to have become a Flyer this summer.
In late June, Turco, a free agent, told ESPN.com that he had turned down a three-year, $6 million contract offer from the Flyers, who denied the offer though they were given permission by the Dallas Stars to contact him in advance of free agency.
“We would have loved to go to the Flyers, but it’s not happening,” Turco texted CSNPhilly.com late Saturday from Scotland.
Buckle in Flyers fans because that means Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher is your goaltending tandem whether you like it or not. Then again, it wouldn’t be a Flyers season without being completely terrified of what your goalies are going to do anyhow. As for what’s next for Marty Turco, his agent Kurt Overhardt said that he will play in the NHL this year and could be signed within the next week and you can’t help but wonder how much that’s got to do with what Chicago decides to do with Antti Niemi who won a $2.75 million award in arbitration yesterday.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 9
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 4
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 86
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (85)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness