Jul 31, 2010, 10:40 AM EST
While the NHL and Players Association refused to go on record regarding who, exactly, will be the arbitrator for the Ilya Kovalchuk contract dispute, someone found out anyway. Sportsnet.ca has the word.
The National Hockey League and its Players’ Association have agreed on an arbitrator to settle the Ilya Kovalchuk case, Sportsnet has learned.
Richard Bloch, who has heard CBA grievances in the past, will arbitrate the case which could start on Wednesday and possibly conclude by Thursday.
If you’re looking for detailed analysis on who Bloch is – his preferences, previous decisions, astrological sign – you’ve come to the wrong place. All I know about the man is that he “has heard CBA grievances in the past.”
Update: Low and behold, Gulitti came up with a few details about Bloch.
Bloch, a longtime Wash. D.C. resident, was born in East Orange and graduated from Livingston H.S. before attending Dartmouth and U.Mich Law
Tom Gulitti did confirm with Bloch that he would be the system arbitrator and that the hearing would take place on Wednesday. Bloch would not reveal the location of the hearing, though.
All indications point to this case being resolved by late next week, thank goodness. Raise your hand if you thought Kovalchuk wouldn’t have a new contract until August …
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)