Jul 31, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
While the NHL and Players Association refused to go on record regarding who, exactly, will be the arbitrator for the Ilya Kovalchuk contract dispute, someone found out anyway. Sportsnet.ca has the word.
The National Hockey League and its Players’ Association have agreed on an arbitrator to settle the Ilya Kovalchuk case, Sportsnet has learned.
Richard Bloch, who has heard CBA grievances in the past, will arbitrate the case which could start on Wednesday and possibly conclude by Thursday.
If you’re looking for detailed analysis on who Bloch is – his preferences, previous decisions, astrological sign – you’ve come to the wrong place. All I know about the man is that he “has heard CBA grievances in the past.”
Update: Low and behold, Gulitti came up with a few details about Bloch.
Bloch, a longtime Wash. D.C. resident, was born in East Orange and graduated from Livingston H.S. before attending Dartmouth and U.Mich Law
Tom Gulitti did confirm with Bloch that he would be the system arbitrator and that the hearing would take place on Wednesday. Bloch would not reveal the location of the hearing, though.
All indications point to this case being resolved by late next week, thank goodness. Raise your hand if you thought Kovalchuk wouldn’t have a new contract until August …
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)