Jul 31, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
While the NHL and Players Association refused to go on record regarding who, exactly, will be the arbitrator for the Ilya Kovalchuk contract dispute, someone found out anyway. Sportsnet.ca has the word.
The National Hockey League and its Players’ Association have agreed on an arbitrator to settle the Ilya Kovalchuk case, Sportsnet has learned.
Richard Bloch, who has heard CBA grievances in the past, will arbitrate the case which could start on Wednesday and possibly conclude by Thursday.
If you’re looking for detailed analysis on who Bloch is – his preferences, previous decisions, astrological sign – you’ve come to the wrong place. All I know about the man is that he “has heard CBA grievances in the past.”
Update: Low and behold, Gulitti came up with a few details about Bloch.
Bloch, a longtime Wash. D.C. resident, was born in East Orange and graduated from Livingston H.S. before attending Dartmouth and U.Mich Law
Tom Gulitti did confirm with Bloch that he would be the system arbitrator and that the hearing would take place on Wednesday. Bloch would not reveal the location of the hearing, though.
All indications point to this case being resolved by late next week, thank goodness. Raise your hand if you thought Kovalchuk wouldn’t have a new contract until August …
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)