Jul 31, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Casual fans might not be familiar with Patric Hornqvist, yet he is one of the highest impact players waiting for a new contract via restricted free agency. We’ve debated whether or not he’ll make good on his breakthrough 09-10 season already, but the bottom line is that he managed to score 30 goals next season. Hornqvist and the Nashville Predators must find common ground this summer.
Thanks to some digging by George Malik, Dirk Hoag of the great Nashville Predators blog On the Forecheck notes that the team is close to coming to terms with Hornqvist.
Nashville fans are eager to see this get done, at a salary that won’t jeopardize other elements of the roster going forward. Comparable players have signed contracts over the last week or so, allowing the market to sort itself and make it easier for both sides to agree on a salary. That way, we can get back to important matters, like debating how many goals Hornqvist might score next season …
Hoag made an apt comparison between Hornqvist and Vancouver Canucks forward Mason Raymond, who avoided arbitration and signed a reasonable two-year, $5.1 million contract on Monday and ultimately suggested that the team should give Hornqvist a bit more. Hornqvist doesn’t have much of track record – he’s only played 108 regular seasons during two campaigns – so giving him more than two years would probably be risky.
At a Raymond-like compensation and term, Hornqvist would be rewarded nicely while the shorter term would give him added incentive to duplicate his previous efforts. We’ll let you know when the team signs him to a deal.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)