Jul 31, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
The wait to find out Antti Niemi’s salary arbitration award is over. Chris Kuc reports that the Cup-winning Finnish goalie received a one-year, $2.75 million ruling. Please note that this isn’t a binding contract, though; Niemi’s fate with the Balckhawks has not yet been decided.
In case you haven’t been following arbitration situations, the Blackhawks have a few options. They can honor the award and sign Niemi to that contract, walk away and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent or trade away his deal to another team. Chicago will have 48 hours to make a decision and will have an opportunity to buyout a contract in that two-day window of time.
Our previous stories indicate that the Blackhawks wanted to pay him $2 million while Niemi was asking for $3 million. While that $2.75 million reward is close to what the Niemi camp wanted, that’s not a bad deal when you consider the scant amount of NHL goalies with Cup rings making under $3 million. On the flip side, there isn’t much to say that Niemi will be able to replicate that performance since he hasn’t even played a full season as a No. 1 starter.
Will the Blackhawks bring back Niemi or move on to another option, such as free agents Marty Turco or Jose Theodore? Perhaps they’ll buyout someone else or ship Cristobal Huet’s massive $5.6 million contract to the minors? The team has two days to make a decision. We’ll keep you updated as they mull over their options.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks