Jul 31, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Update: Nick Kypreos reports that Setoguchi’s deal is worth $1.8M. That means the Sharks will pay him $400K less than Boston will give Blake Wheeler. Very, very nice signing by GM Doug WIlson …
As was discussed yesterday, the San Jose Sharks signed forward Devin Setoguchi to a one-year contract. The team did not share financial details on the deal.
Here’s a little more from the Sharks’ press release.
The 23-year-old Setoguchi finished the 2009-10 campaign tied for fourth on the team in goals (20). He set a career-high with four game-winning goals and recorded 36 points in 70 games.
During the postseason, he finished third on the team in goals (5), including the overtime game-winner in Game 2 of the Western Conference Quarter Finals vs. Colorado. He also chipped in with four assists and was a +3 in 15 games.
“We’re happy to have Devin under contract for next season,” said [GM Doug] Wilson. “He is an important part of our team and we are looking forward to his on-going growth as a player. We have very high expectations for him.”
The Sharks now have their top-six forwards wrapped up, with Setoguchi, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski and Ryan Clowe under contract. Overall, the team has 11 forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies under contract, according to CapGeek.com.
That covers the teams’ major free agents for this summer. Without knowing Setoguchi’s salary cap hit, the team has a little more than $5.5 million in cap space accounting for 19 players. Depending on his salary, they’ll either have enough room to add another small piece or will only be able to add minimum wage players.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)