Jul 31, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Update: Nick Kypreos reports that Setoguchi’s deal is worth $1.8M. That means the Sharks will pay him $400K less than Boston will give Blake Wheeler. Very, very nice signing by GM Doug WIlson …
As was discussed yesterday, the San Jose Sharks signed forward Devin Setoguchi to a one-year contract. The team did not share financial details on the deal.
Here’s a little more from the Sharks’ press release.
The 23-year-old Setoguchi finished the 2009-10 campaign tied for fourth on the team in goals (20). He set a career-high with four game-winning goals and recorded 36 points in 70 games.
During the postseason, he finished third on the team in goals (5), including the overtime game-winner in Game 2 of the Western Conference Quarter Finals vs. Colorado. He also chipped in with four assists and was a +3 in 15 games.
“We’re happy to have Devin under contract for next season,” said [GM Doug] Wilson. “He is an important part of our team and we are looking forward to his on-going growth as a player. We have very high expectations for him.”
The Sharks now have their top-six forwards wrapped up, with Setoguchi, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski and Ryan Clowe under contract. Overall, the team has 11 forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies under contract, according to CapGeek.com.
That covers the teams’ major free agents for this summer. Without knowing Setoguchi’s salary cap hit, the team has a little more than $5.5 million in cap space accounting for 19 players. Depending on his salary, they’ll either have enough room to add another small piece or will only be able to add minimum wage players.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)