Jul 31, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Update: Nick Kypreos reports that Setoguchi’s deal is worth $1.8M. That means the Sharks will pay him $400K less than Boston will give Blake Wheeler. Very, very nice signing by GM Doug WIlson …
As was discussed yesterday, the San Jose Sharks signed forward Devin Setoguchi to a one-year contract. The team did not share financial details on the deal.
Here’s a little more from the Sharks’ press release.
The 23-year-old Setoguchi finished the 2009-10 campaign tied for fourth on the team in goals (20). He set a career-high with four game-winning goals and recorded 36 points in 70 games.
During the postseason, he finished third on the team in goals (5), including the overtime game-winner in Game 2 of the Western Conference Quarter Finals vs. Colorado. He also chipped in with four assists and was a +3 in 15 games.
“We’re happy to have Devin under contract for next season,” said [GM Doug] Wilson. “He is an important part of our team and we are looking forward to his on-going growth as a player. We have very high expectations for him.”
The Sharks now have their top-six forwards wrapped up, with Setoguchi, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski and Ryan Clowe under contract. Overall, the team has 11 forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies under contract, according to CapGeek.com.
That covers the teams’ major free agents for this summer. Without knowing Setoguchi’s salary cap hit, the team has a little more than $5.5 million in cap space accounting for 19 players. Depending on his salary, they’ll either have enough room to add another small piece or will only be able to add minimum wage players.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)