Jul 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
* – Jeez, the two guys were born and drafted in the same year. I probably made identical “Star Trek” puns about them without even realizing it. This is worse than the Nicklas/Niklas Backstrom mess, I tell you.
Anyway, as usual, financial terms were not disclosed. Picard was traded to Carolina by Ottawa for a second round draft choice in the Matt Cullen deal during the trade deadline. Oddly enough, none of the elements of the deal remained with their original teams; Cullen departed Ottawa for Minnesota this off-season, Picard will be a Montreal Canadien and the second round pick ended up in Edmonton’s hands.
Picard scored 4 goals and added 11 assists for 15 points in 54 games for the Senators and Hurricanes last season. He’s a pretty big player at 6’3″, 215 lbs. so we’ll see if he can buck the trend of pint-sized players in Montreal.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (147)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)