Jul 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
* – Jeez, the two guys were born and drafted in the same year. I probably made identical “Star Trek” puns about them without even realizing it. This is worse than the Nicklas/Niklas Backstrom mess, I tell you.
Anyway, as usual, financial terms were not disclosed. Picard was traded to Carolina by Ottawa for a second round draft choice in the Matt Cullen deal during the trade deadline. Oddly enough, none of the elements of the deal remained with their original teams; Cullen departed Ottawa for Minnesota this off-season, Picard will be a Montreal Canadien and the second round pick ended up in Edmonton’s hands.
Picard scored 4 goals and added 11 assists for 15 points in 54 games for the Senators and Hurricanes last season. He’s a pretty big player at 6’3″, 215 lbs. so we’ll see if he can buck the trend of pint-sized players in Montreal.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10