Jul 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
* – Jeez, the two guys were born and drafted in the same year. I probably made identical “Star Trek” puns about them without even realizing it. This is worse than the Nicklas/Niklas Backstrom mess, I tell you.
Anyway, as usual, financial terms were not disclosed. Picard was traded to Carolina by Ottawa for a second round draft choice in the Matt Cullen deal during the trade deadline. Oddly enough, none of the elements of the deal remained with their original teams; Cullen departed Ottawa for Minnesota this off-season, Picard will be a Montreal Canadien and the second round pick ended up in Edmonton’s hands.
Picard scored 4 goals and added 11 assists for 15 points in 54 games for the Senators and Hurricanes last season. He’s a pretty big player at 6’3″, 215 lbs. so we’ll see if he can buck the trend of pint-sized players in Montreal.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)