Jul 30, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Blackhawks lose money despite winning the Cup – Evidence that owners should probably expect their other properties to make money, rather than sports teams.
Bruins accept arbitrator’s design on Blake Wheeler – They’ll have some cap troubles, but $2.2 million is reasonable for the young forward.
Abdelkader takes boxing lessons – Much better than [insert your least favorite player] doing “boxercize” classes.
Oilers name Ralph Krueger their assistant coach – Amazingly, Joe made a “Nightmare on Elm Street” reference. It’s almost as if he knew I’d make a Freddy Krueger joke here otherwise.
Islanders put Brendan Witt on waivers – Good thing he’s the kind of resilient guy who can bounce back from that … and getting hit by cars.
Are the Kings interested in Savard? – I said I’d discuss this tonight, but I lied. Instead, it’ll happen Saturday.
Kovalchuk contract grievance to be settled next week – Thank goodness.
Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler skip WJC camps – Could they both play in the NHL next season? Hmmm ….
How could the Bruins clear up cap space? – Discussing the most popular ideas for making room.
Ducks trade James Wisniewski to Islanders for conditional third rounder – Even if Anaheim adds a defenseman, I wonder how effective their D-corps will be next year.
Lightning might expand Phil Esposito’s role – If they did that, it would be another sound move by Tampa Bay.
Canadiens pick Louis Leblanc will leave Harvard – Well, it’s not like he’s going to make any money with a degree from that dump.
Sergei Fedorov’s money troubles continue – Poor Sergei Fedorov. Literally.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)