Jul 30, 2010, 1:57 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers new head coach Tom Renney is filling out his coaching staff and going off the radar in doing so. The Oilers have hired Ralph Krueger to be one of Renney’s assistants, joining former Oilers players Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith on the bench.
If you’re not familiar with the name, it’s understandable as Krueger has never worked as a coach in the NHL before but don’t let that mislead you about his resume. For the last 13 years, he’s worked as the top coach for the Swiss National Team helping the Swiss to go from also-rans in world competition to being one of the trickier teams to defeat in international play. Their standing in the IIHF rankings also improved from 15th when he took over in 1997 to their current rank of 7th in the world.
If the last name strikes you as being familiar, you’re either hung up on “A Nightmare On Elm Street” or you saw his son Justin playing for Team Germany in the 2010 IIHF World Championships or Cornell University. Justin was a 2006 draft pick of the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 0
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9