Jul 30, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
A bevy of signings all went down this afternoon so we’ll get you caught up in quick-hit fashion. We would’ve called this the lightning round but considering they’re one of the teams involved in things we didn’t want to get too silly.
Tell me if you’ve heard this one before: Steve Yzerman signs someone who was affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens organization last year. Crazy, right? Again, Yzerman strikes, this time landing a guy who will fit in great as a third or fourth line centerman and penalty killer for the Lightning. Moore won’t dazzle you, but he’ll just go about his job and do it well. Consider this one a savvy signing for the Lightning especially at a cost of $2.2 million over two years.
The Ottawa Senators have again avoided the tricky hand of the arbitrator by coming to a one-year contract agreement with restricted free agent defenseman Chris Campoli. Campoli’s deal will pay him $1.4 million next season.
For Campoli, the salary constitutes a pretty substantial raise as he made $625,000 last season and it’s tough to see why he’s getting a huge raise as his numbers last season were not inspiring (67 games, 4-14-18 and a -3 plus/minus rating).
SportsNet’s Nick Kypreos tweets that James Wisniewski has avoided arbitration with the Ducks and re-signs with the team for $3.25 million on a one-year deal. Wisniewski is a bit of an odd hybrid as a defenseman in that he provides some offensive touch (3 goals, 27 assists last year) as well as playing an edgy physical game. He plays an ideal game for the Ducks and gets a small raise on the $2.75 million he made last year.
Hey, even the Hamilton Bulldogs need love too. Henry provides them with depth along the blueline and he’s a guy they’re already very familiar with as it is. He’s a big boy at 6’6″ 231 pounds so if the Habs find themselves hurting for size in the defense and need a thumper, he’ll get the call. As for now, Hal Gill will take care of their thumping/getting-in-the-way needs.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)