Jul 30, 2010, 5:04 PM EDT
A bevy of signings all went down this afternoon so we’ll get you caught up in quick-hit fashion. We would’ve called this the lightning round but considering they’re one of the teams involved in things we didn’t want to get too silly.
Tell me if you’ve heard this one before: Steve Yzerman signs someone who was affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens organization last year. Crazy, right? Again, Yzerman strikes, this time landing a guy who will fit in great as a third or fourth line centerman and penalty killer for the Lightning. Moore won’t dazzle you, but he’ll just go about his job and do it well. Consider this one a savvy signing for the Lightning especially at a cost of $2.2 million over two years.
The Ottawa Senators have again avoided the tricky hand of the arbitrator by coming to a one-year contract agreement with restricted free agent defenseman Chris Campoli. Campoli’s deal will pay him $1.4 million next season.
For Campoli, the salary constitutes a pretty substantial raise as he made $625,000 last season and it’s tough to see why he’s getting a huge raise as his numbers last season were not inspiring (67 games, 4-14-18 and a -3 plus/minus rating).
SportsNet’s Nick Kypreos tweets that James Wisniewski has avoided arbitration with the Ducks and re-signs with the team for $3.25 million on a one-year deal. Wisniewski is a bit of an odd hybrid as a defenseman in that he provides some offensive touch (3 goals, 27 assists last year) as well as playing an edgy physical game. He plays an ideal game for the Ducks and gets a small raise on the $2.75 million he made last year.
Hey, even the Hamilton Bulldogs need love too. Henry provides them with depth along the blueline and he’s a guy they’re already very familiar with as it is. He’s a big boy at 6’6″ 231 pounds so if the Habs find themselves hurting for size in the defense and need a thumper, he’ll get the call. As for now, Hal Gill will take care of their thumping/getting-in-the-way needs.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12