Jul 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s been a busy Thursday for the San Jose Sharks (or at least for Sharks news). Earlier tonight I touched on rumors that the team is close to coming to terms on a one-year deal with Devin Setoguchi and also began contract extension discussions with 2011-free-agent-to-be Joe Thornton. In other news, the Sharks signed young defenseman Jason Demers to a two-year, $2.5 million extension that will begin in 2011-12. (Source: CapGeek.com)
Here’s a take on Demers from Mr. Plank of Fear the Fin.
A good contract for a good young offensive defenseman that could turn out to be Dan Boyle’s replacement. Phenomenal on the power play, and with a full year in the NHL under his belt, hopefully the defensive responsibility will come along as well.
Demers scored 21 points (four goals, 17 assist) in 51 games during his first season with the Sharks. He also had a goal and four assists in 15 playoff games. His plus/minus was +5 in the regular season and even in the playoffs, but as Mr. Plank notes, the young defenseman could certainly improve his play in the Sharks’ end of the ice.
Still, that’s a solid deal for a young player who could be a nice asset for the Sharks, both now and most importantly in the future.
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 0
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)