Jul 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s been a busy Thursday for the San Jose Sharks (or at least for Sharks news). Earlier tonight I touched on rumors that the team is close to coming to terms on a one-year deal with Devin Setoguchi and also began contract extension discussions with 2011-free-agent-to-be Joe Thornton. In other news, the Sharks signed young defenseman Jason Demers to a two-year, $2.5 million extension that will begin in 2011-12. (Source: CapGeek.com)
Here’s a take on Demers from Mr. Plank of Fear the Fin.
A good contract for a good young offensive defenseman that could turn out to be Dan Boyle’s replacement. Phenomenal on the power play, and with a full year in the NHL under his belt, hopefully the defensive responsibility will come along as well.
Demers scored 21 points (four goals, 17 assist) in 51 games during his first season with the Sharks. He also had a goal and four assists in 15 playoff games. His plus/minus was +5 in the regular season and even in the playoffs, but as Mr. Plank notes, the young defenseman could certainly improve his play in the Sharks’ end of the ice.
Still, that’s a solid deal for a young player who could be a nice asset for the Sharks, both now and most importantly in the future.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)