Jul 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EST
It’s been a busy Thursday for the San Jose Sharks (or at least for Sharks news). Earlier tonight I touched on rumors that the team is close to coming to terms on a one-year deal with Devin Setoguchi and also began contract extension discussions with 2011-free-agent-to-be Joe Thornton. In other news, the Sharks signed young defenseman Jason Demers to a two-year, $2.5 million extension that will begin in 2011-12. (Source: CapGeek.com)
Here’s a take on Demers from Mr. Plank of Fear the Fin.
A good contract for a good young offensive defenseman that could turn out to be Dan Boyle’s replacement. Phenomenal on the power play, and with a full year in the NHL under his belt, hopefully the defensive responsibility will come along as well.
Demers scored 21 points (four goals, 17 assist) in 51 games during his first season with the Sharks. He also had a goal and four assists in 15 playoff games. His plus/minus was +5 in the regular season and even in the playoffs, but as Mr. Plank notes, the young defenseman could certainly improve his play in the Sharks’ end of the ice.
Still, that’s a solid deal for a young player who could be a nice asset for the Sharks, both now and most importantly in the future.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28