Jul 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s been a busy Thursday for the San Jose Sharks (or at least for Sharks news). Earlier tonight I touched on rumors that the team is close to coming to terms on a one-year deal with Devin Setoguchi and also began contract extension discussions with 2011-free-agent-to-be Joe Thornton. In other news, the Sharks signed young defenseman Jason Demers to a two-year, $2.5 million extension that will begin in 2011-12. (Source: CapGeek.com)
Here’s a take on Demers from Mr. Plank of Fear the Fin.
A good contract for a good young offensive defenseman that could turn out to be Dan Boyle’s replacement. Phenomenal on the power play, and with a full year in the NHL under his belt, hopefully the defensive responsibility will come along as well.
Demers scored 21 points (four goals, 17 assist) in 51 games during his first season with the Sharks. He also had a goal and four assists in 15 playoff games. His plus/minus was +5 in the regular season and even in the playoffs, but as Mr. Plank notes, the young defenseman could certainly improve his play in the Sharks’ end of the ice.
Still, that’s a solid deal for a young player who could be a nice asset for the Sharks, both now and most importantly in the future.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)