Jul 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s been a busy Thursday for the San Jose Sharks (or at least for Sharks news). Earlier tonight I touched on rumors that the team is close to coming to terms on a one-year deal with Devin Setoguchi and also began contract extension discussions with 2011-free-agent-to-be Joe Thornton. In other news, the Sharks signed young defenseman Jason Demers to a two-year, $2.5 million extension that will begin in 2011-12. (Source: CapGeek.com)
Here’s a take on Demers from Mr. Plank of Fear the Fin.
A good contract for a good young offensive defenseman that could turn out to be Dan Boyle’s replacement. Phenomenal on the power play, and with a full year in the NHL under his belt, hopefully the defensive responsibility will come along as well.
Demers scored 21 points (four goals, 17 assist) in 51 games during his first season with the Sharks. He also had a goal and four assists in 15 playoff games. His plus/minus was +5 in the regular season and even in the playoffs, but as Mr. Plank notes, the young defenseman could certainly improve his play in the Sharks’ end of the ice.
Still, that’s a solid deal for a young player who could be a nice asset for the Sharks, both now and most importantly in the future.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)