Jul 29, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Sometimes the most iconic people in an organization are the ones that bring the game to you over the radio and for Vancouver Canucks fans, Tom Larscheid is the guy who described the action on the ice with all the passion and excitement you’d want from a hometown guy. With the Canucks heading into their 40th anniversary season, Larscheid is retiring but he’ll be sticking around to call one more game.
An era has ended in the Vancouver sports scene.
The TEAM 1040 will replace Tommy Larscheid with analyst Dave Tomlinson as the Canucks colour commentator this season.
Larscheid will broadcast one final game, the season-opener against the L.A. Kings, with John Shorthouse (HNIC has the TV broadcast) as the Canucks kick off their 40th anniversary season.
Lots of fans will miss Tommy, as he’s invariably called. Lots, also, criticized his boosterism, but he never hid the fact he bled Canucks blue and green _ or yellow and orange, or black and silver, because he was there for most of the club’s frequent jersey switches.
In fact, probably the only thing the 70-year-old regrets is he never will call a Canucks Stanley Cup victory.
Tommy is passion personnified, with or without the mike on. You heard it in his voice when he’d roast a Pavol Demitra no-show or when he held Mike Gillis’s feet to the fire after Dave Nonis had been deposed.
It’s great that Larscheid will get to call one more game, a one-man victory tour if you will. It’s always tough for the home fans to adjust from a iconic voice to the “new” guy on the scene. Here’s to hoping the Canucks fans will give Dave Tomlinson a bit of break as he learns the ropes on the radio mic.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)